GUN Smith & Wesson to buy Thompson Center Arms

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by krott5333, Dec 19, 2006.

1. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. today announced it has agreed to acquire Thompson/Center Arms Inc. The company will pay $102 million in cash for the New Hampshire-based designer, manufacturer and marketer of hunting firearms. Smith & Wesson president and CEO Michael Golden called the acquisition "an important step in our diversification strategy" and said the move will expand the company's presence in the $1.1 billion long gun market. In conjunction with the acquisition, Gregg Ritz, Thompson/Center Arms president and CEO, will be named president of Smith & Wesson-Hunting. Ritz will continue to lead the Thompson/Center Arms operation and will head Smith & Wesson's efforts to develop its hunting business. The transaction is expected to close in January.[/FONT]

2. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

When did you get off your ban?

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

quite some time ago :hsugh:

4. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Are we talking about the 3rd or the 7th time for racist comments? :hsugh:

How many more hous til it happens again? You trying for some kind of record?

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I was wanting to buy some s&w stock earlier this year but didn't (and regret it). After their stock tanked from the earning report I would have expected this to give it more of a kick in the pants than it has. I'm completely undecided if I want to buy into it now or not. If anything this will help them out in the long term but as a potential investor I'm not seeing the hotness.

6. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

maybe its just me but firearms manufacturers are a niche market. theres only a sparse part of the population who purchases more than one firearm every two to three years. i just dont see the appeal with companies that cant market to the wide diverse consumer. youre probably better off buying apple or something more stable than snw. but what do i know :hs:

7. Furner

Furner New Member

he ought to be banned again for using that fucking font.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

NasdaqGS:SWHC
    52wk Range: 3.50 - 14.85

Some people made a ton of money on them this year. And realistically while I'm not sure I'd want them for a long term holding gun sales are still up, they're branching out and selling ar-15s which will help LE sales, the M&P is going to help LE sales, the thompson arms deal is bringing them more market. They're actually reasonably diverse for a firearms company and would certainly be the preferred buy over ruger.

I do think theres a little money left in apple too especially since the zune was a tremendous flop but we're talking a much higher share price also.

9. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

What exactly has Thompson been producing lately?

10. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

They're doing very well in the muzzleloader market with the Omega and Encore Pro Hunter, plus they have a model called the Triumph coming out in the Spring. They also have a .22 autoloader and of course the Encore and Contender.