GUN Smith and Wesson Customer Support

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CKMustangCobra, Dec 13, 2007.

1. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

I carry a S&W 640 daily, even on the job. I am a Marine Electrician/Mechanic. Along with my tools and equipment my gun gets exposed to salt breeze and such from working on the water. Most of my tools are quality and don't rust up. Even if they get dropped in the water and recovered, wipe them off and they are good to go. I carry @ 1 'o' clock IWB and sometimes sweat gets all over the gun as well as salt water spray and such.

About 3 months ago I started to notice some pitting in the finish. I cleaned the gun really well and applied Barricade to help prevent the rust. I also rub Hoppes #9 on my guns for protection. I am off work today so I decided to clean my 640 again. WAY more rust this strip down.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The finish is obviously gone in some spots and bare steel is getting exposed. I started searching the net for a good company to refinish the gun and possibly have it magnaported and such. Came across Gemini Customs, stuff looks really awesome (except the grips). I also thought it would be a good idea to call S&W to see if the warranty would cover it.

The following is as accurate as I can recreate...

Ringing...

Paul: "Thank you for calling Smith and Wesson Customer Support and Warrant Center, my name is Paul, how I can help you?"

Me: "Hi, my name is Chris and I have a S&W 640...

Paul interupts: "That is a mighty fine firearm, own one myself!"

Me: "... awesome. I love mine, except I've been starting to notice a problem with the finish..."

Paul: "Let me get the serial number from you, please..."

Me: "--serial number--"

Paul: "Well, that firearm is less than 3 years old, what's going on with the finish?"

Me: "I've noticed it starting to rust around the logo, trigger guard and under the grips..."

Paul interupts again... and sounding like he was watching a horor flick: "Ohhhh my God.... OHHHH MY GOD.... NO NO NO NO NO...... RUST? OMG, RUST? That is NO good, NO GOOD at all sir, Let me get your address, I will send you a shipping label and box so you can send it back.

Me: "::chuckles:: --address given-- Are you guys going to refinish it?

Paul: "It depends. If the frame has been comprimised to a certain point, they will just replace the gun all together."

Me: "Wow. Well... my gun has a trigger job on it, I'd like to keep mine....

Paul interupts: "If they have to replace the entire gun, we will do a trigger job on the new one for free then!"

Me: "WOW. OK. Well.... I'll send it out ASAP."

::Conversation Closes::

Paul was so pissed that a Smith and Wesson firearm had failed, it was a bit comical. My friend has a 629 and has had to send it back before and has had nothing but praise to say about the CS dept. @ S&W. I'm expecting the same experience.

Due to the holidays, I won't be shipping mine out until mid Jan... but I will update this thread with results.

:)

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

I had a very good experience with SW customer service when I needed my
    Walther P99 fixed too. Can't complain about the treatment I got from them at all.

3. CKMustangCobra

4. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

S&W owns Thompson Center now, but as far as I know their customer service has always been exceptional.

5. McCroskey

My Walther was broke. S&W fixes Walthers(for warranty work). I sent it to them. They
    fixed it quickly with no hassles. I was happy. :dunno:

6. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

It's too bad all companies don't treat their customers like that....but I suppose being a firearm company, they know that a pissed off customer is a gun owner :mamoru:

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I have bought two S&W firearms, and this makes me really happy I chose them.

8. MTech

MTech New Member

S&W Customer Service FTMFW!! as usual.

Don't be too surprised if they hook you up in some other way when you get it back.. lots of guys I read end up getting their guns back for minor things have ended up w/ Night Sights or additional mags.

9. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Click click boom baby.

10. CKMustangCobra

Ohh... I was unaware the S&W fixed Walthers! :)

11. smartypants

smartypants New Member

That's pretty impressive.
    (but not as impressive as the Tenifer finish on my G22)

12. CKMustangCobra

I know a guy on another forum that sent his 1911M&P back to have it refinished and a 4lb trigger installed.

Got it back with a badass finish, coupon for free grips, extra spring set, trigger and cleaning kit.

Dude..... How badass is that?

13. CKMustangCobra

Glock finishes seem to hold up to everything. I wish the 340PD finish was that tough.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Good to know, I have had a slight bit of discoloration there behind the grips on my carry, model 60, but I tend to take the grips off when I clean it once a month or so. If I ever have to call them it will be nice to know it will get taken care of.

15. CKMustangCobra

yeah man. This guy sounded as if he wanted to drive a new one over my house personally and have his daughter suck me off for the inconvienence...

16. MTech

MTech New Member

Not a surprise to me.. I did a ton of research before choosing S&W M&P as my first handgun and a lot of it had to do with if I did have any issue I knew their customer support rocked.. Springfield I heard nightmare stories on plus XD's were rusting away... plus after holding both it was a no brainer.

I'm looking to get a S&W revolver next and an AR but not sure if I want the S&W Tactical or if I'm gonna bite for the Sig 556 because that thing looks mean and feels great// every time I get to hold one I fall in love again.

according to the company that makes Tennifer and melonite ect.. they're the same thing just diff. names.

Also check this out..

"Ultimate Smith & Wesson Experience"
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86223883

Also send off for your free sample of Weapon Shield and loose the Hoppes!!
    Just email for a sample...
    George C. Fennell, L.E.
    Steel Shield Technologies, Inc.
    President-Technical Division
    http://www.steelshieldtech.com
    [email protected]

17. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I've got a S&W AR. It's great. The only thing bad I can say about the 556, is that if you ever have anything break on it, the parts are not everywhere like AR parts.

18. MTech

MTech New Member

True... I like that H&K P416 as well but don't know if/don't think it's available to the public...

I've seen 3 versions of the M&P15 and I like the one that's got half rails on it.. I'm not a fan of the full on tactical cause it feels like grabbing a cheese grater... I can't find the full on one online but they had all 3 at Gander Mountain...:dunno:

I like this one..
    [​IMG]

19. McCroskey

Yeah, they're the distributors for Walther USA....part owner of Walther
    now too I think. Probably one reason the Walther P99s dropped $100 in
    price in the last few months too.

20. Gimik

Gimik New Member

the cylinder release on my 340 is starting to rust a little. I need to call them and see if they'll send me a new one :o

21. CKMustangCobra

Awesome to know.

22. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Just so you know, those arent "half rails," that is a full rail system with covers on the rear half. You can do that to anything with a quad rail, just have to get the covers. So dont let that make the decision for you on which weapon you end up with.

23. MTech

MTech New Member

I didn't know how else to explain it so half rail seemed like it'd get the point across...So do they come with them and they just happened to have them setup differently or?? they had 3 totally separate prices on them which is why I thought it was just in the design.

I'm trying to understand the whole gas vs piston thing as well cause I believe on here somebody said gas was better.... I was reading a review on the Sig 556 and the M&P15T and they said a lot of the latest trends were put on the gun but despite the recent trend of piston fired they kept with the gas system..... so what's the diff... and pro/con of each??

24. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I like the normal gas system, because if I want to upgrade a part, a million manufacturers make them. I seriously doubt anyone here will ever neglect their AR enough for the piston system to actually be better than the direct impingement setup of traditional ARs. I'll agree the piston setup does have it's usefulness, but I hear of people firing 3000+ rounds through a traditional AR with no problems. Who would actually do that that isn't in a battle scenario. Even then it's a bit far-fetched.

25. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I need to call them about my M&P, but they're about to close until after Christmas. The shells are ejecting back at my face. I have a first run, and that's one of the small issues. I figure I'll send it in, get that fixed, get the extended slide locks, and see if there's any other issues that they can take care of.