SmartSound Quicktracks Plugin Ver. what is it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ryan112ryan, Jan 31, 2006.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

what is smartsound quicktracks plugin? its freaking huge! (5,294mb) i could really use that space?
    what is this used for?
    is it spy/mal/adware?

i googled it but didn't find much on it, except that it might be difficult to unistall

2. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Spyware it is not.

Questionable usefulness ware it might be.

It's an audio plug-in that goes with audio/video editing programs like Adobe Premiere.

It's also associated with Quicktime from version 7 onwards.

From what I can tell, reading around (in the last 5 minutes or so), it tends to install itself really deep and be very difficult to uninstall, being heavily hooked in to whatever program it came with (my guess is, for you it came with Quicktime).

Are you sure you're reporting that file size correctly? It should only be in the 9mb range, size wise.

3. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

the only prog i have to edit audio or video is bink & smacker and audacity both really small progs (no more than 5 mb for the installer package)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  4. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

I'd have to say it looks hinky.

First step: Go Here and download "Hijack This" - it's an uber lite scanning prog. Then head into their forums and ask for some help with the log it generates. HJT doesn't fix anything, it just gives you a good scan of all the hidden processes running in you computer, and various things that got launched during startup (and no, the native Windows task manager doesn't do a particularely great job of telling you what's really going on in your computer).

CastleCops used to be THE guys to talk to about this stuff, but their forum seems to have flamed out (it happens when you get 5million+ hits per month).

If it was me, on my computer, I'd just frag it and see what broke. But it's not my computer, so I'm not going to absolutely recommend you doing that.