Smartphone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Quarantine, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Quarantine

Quarantine Active Member

I think that's what they're called, I'm thinking about getting one. A blackberry type phone I guess. Right now I have a razr, I kinda have always wanted one of those types of phone. Any cheap ones out there? I was checking out ebay but I really don't know what I'm looking at I guess haha. My carrier is alltel, so if I ordered a phone online, I could just take it in and get it activated for free right?

2. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Anything HTC is :bowdown:

Blackberry FTL, unless you have a BES and even then I wouldn't suggest it.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

blackberry ftmfw.

windows mobile ftmfl.

htc == cheap crap.

4. Quarantine

Quarantine Active Member

So what exactly is the postive side of these phones? I looked at one today at best buy, neat setup with all the windows crap (media player and what not), how is the internet browsing on it? Is there a blackberry (decent price if found on ebay) that could have a good amount of features but still keeping a low price range? I've looked but some of it I have no clue what I'm looking at haha

5. fknfast

fknfast Coming to a QB near you

does the curve have a windows type interface? how about browsing the web? is it internet friendly? the curve web site says that it has wifi, but I dont see that listed on the AT&T model's description.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the blackberry is not windows mobile and that's one of the best things about it. Windows mobile is nothing but fail and aids.

opera is great for web browsing.

the curve has 3 models. The at&t version does not have wifi.

7. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

depending on what carrier you use, the phones have different options disabled and what not. dont look at the manufactors website, look at the carriers website. The Blackberrys are great if you use your email alot but you have to pay extra for their emial service, so its like $20 on top of your regular phone bill. It forwards your email through their service directly into your phone. Some of the carriers let you buy a BB without getting the BB email service and some dont

8. fknfast

yeah at&t requires a data plan I believe. The most basic phone plan you can get is like 39.99 a month and the data plan is $30 which includes unlimited email,texts,im, and internet.

I don't talk to a ton of people outside mobile to mobile (comes with voice plan) so I wish I could customized my voice plan to only include like 100 regular mins lol.

they wont let you do that to my knowledge tho:(

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

After dealing with both WM and Blackberry OS, Blackberry wins hands down.

The Blackberry OS is a metric fuckton more stable than WM is. 3rd party apps for BB are, in general, alot more polished, and rarely require making sacrifices like i had to do countless times with my WM phone.

When i had my WM phone, i had alot of apps that were cool, but not that many that were useful. It took lots of apps to enable things that WM should have done natively.

To the OP's price question, if you are willing to switch carriers, AND willing to get a new phone number, you can go to Amazon and pretty much get a free phone... or a hella cheap phone. But make sure you read the fine print! I didn't really read all the fine print, but if you're willing to make the sacrafices, you can get away with a hefty discount for a great phone.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

He doesn't need a new number. Once you get the new handset with the "new" number just call them up and ask them to port your old number. They will gladly do it.

11. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Normally, yes... But with the Amazon deal, if you do that, they charge you full price for the phone. To get the deal, you HAVE to keep the new number, and the new carrier, and keep the account in good standing. If any of those fail, they charge you the 'discount'.

I admit i may be misinterpreting the disclaimer... but thats why i said to read the fine print very very carefully.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are TOTALLY MIS-INTERPRETING that disclaimer. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

you == fail && aids.

All it's saying is you can't "cancel" an old account with the carrier and create a new one to get the pricing.

"porting" involves bringing your number from another carrier, and you can do that no probs.

13. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i've got alltel as well and i have a motorola q, go to an alltel store and check out some of the smartphones they have on display and see if u like any of them

14. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

theres 3 versions of the curve, 3 versions of the 8800 and 4 versions of the Pearl. Each one is a bit different like no WiFi, no GPS and no voice recording depending on the models.

Another similar situation is the Sprint Mogul and T-mobile Wing, both made by HTC. Virtually the same phones but different options enabled by the carriers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Ok... like i said, i wasn't sure if i was misinterpreting it... failure, sure, but equating me to aids is a bit much.

16. fknfast

so does the curve use sim cards? if i order the thing off the net from at&t all I have to do is put my current at&t sim card in it, even if my current phone isnt a blackberry?

17. Quarantine

Quarantine Active Member

If I can get a Blackberry 8703 under $100 is it worth it? The one I found is used, but it seems like a decent phone.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the phone portion will work, but any data app will not.