Smartphone options

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dr. Woo, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

So I'm considering a few different phones here. I still have several months left on AT&T service, and with the ability to purchase an unlocked phone and sell it later, I'm sticking to it. Currently have a SLVR L7. Piece of junk, had it for over a year and it's showing its age. Considering three different phones, but open to suggestions. I'm looking for a phone that can utilize push Gmail (any smartphone, really, thanks to emoze), won't slow down when I'm texting or e-mailing, and has unlimited data access with AT&T. Here are the plans I'd choose between:

$29.99 - Smartphone MAX includes unlimited data usage (email, MEdia™ Net, internet) plus 1500 messages that include text, picture, video, and instant messages.
    $39.99 - BlackBerry® Personal MAX Add-On includes unlimited data usage (email, MEdia™ Net, internet) plus 1500 messages that include text, picture, video, & instant messages.

Phones I'm considering (each is clicky for a link to phonescoop):

HTC S620 Excalibur
    Pros:
    WiFi, messaging-centric, WM5-6
    Cons:
    Reports of cheap construction and buggy software, no scroll wheel, who the hell is HTC?

Samsung Blackjack
    Pros:
    Thin, light, good quality, scroll wheel
    Cons:
    Low processor power (slowdown), bad battery life, no WiFi

RIM BlackBerry Pearl
    Pros:
    Small, BlackBerry service, trackball design
    Cons:
    Weird and cheap keyboard, BB service is costly

I'm kind of doing this in a bit of a hurry (who'd've thought), so I'm sure I'm missing some pros and cons for each, but I'd appreciate OT's GG input on any personal experience or technical knowledge. I haven't sold cell phones for over 4 years, so I'm kind of behind the curve (I'm sure someone will suggest that one, too).

2. Hoss

Hoss Nah, i had water yesterday

i hate the thought of paying 40 bucks for internet access, but fuck i want it

im lookin at the palm treo with windows mobile

3. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

New BlackJack on the way soon with WM6, new keyboard, and different scroll wheel (more like a jog wheel in place of the current d-pad. Its very fucking cool, got to play with one the other day)

BB Pearl has some severe software issues right now (might be only the AT&T ROM that contains the issues)

No experience with the other.

Look into a Nokia S60 phone. TONS of 3rd part apps for just about anything you want to do. N95 will be out very soon for U.S. with either 3g or 8gig internal memory (go for 3g)

also, unlimited media net will work for all phones but the blackberrys