"Smartcard" reader over-ride

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by James Deanely, Feb 26, 2010.

1. James Deanely

James Deanely Active Member

I have a company issued laptop computer that requires me to plug in my ID card in order to use it. Is there a way to copy the smartcard chip on my ID to a standard USB thumbdrive or maybe copy the smart chip data to a file that would allow me to gain access the PC without plugging in my ID Card? My ID card appears looks something like the one in this link.

http://www.scmmicro.com/products-se...card-reader/contact-smart-card-sdk.html#c2531

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No, there isn't. It's an explicit requirement for all card-reader software to NOT allow copying of certificates from smart-cards into standalone files. Just imagine how uselessly insecure they would be if that functionality existed.

3. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

:werd:

And even if this is legit, it would be asking for trouble from the company.

4. James Deanely

James Deanely Active Member

Thanks guys. Just trying to find a more elegant way to incorporate the smart card functionality to a small netbook computer (no PCMCIA or PC Card slot for an aftermarket smart card reader). Currently I am forced to carry around an external card reader and plug it into the USB port to gain access.

Also does having smartcard authenication automatically mean that I cannot use the IPhone or other web accessible smartphone to log into my network? (since there is no way to plug in a smartcard).

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It should be possible to get what's called a soft-cert (i.e. a certificate in a standalone file, instead of attached to a smartcard), which is secured by way of being linked to the CPU ID number instead of linked to a physical card you carry around, but you'll need to talk to your IT department about that.