A&P Small wedding advice?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by yexy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. yexy

yexy New Member

I've been hired to shoot a small wedding (about twenty people) in May. This will be my first one--I'm both excited and nervous. They've seen the small amount of people photography that I've done and decided to take a chance on me even though I haven't done any other weddings. I don't have any equipment other than my tripod and a Canon PowerShot SX100 IS (point-and-shoot/SLR hybrid). There will be a church ceremony and the reception will be held at a restaurant. Any advice from you pros? :noes:

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Rent a camera and a couple of lenses!

3. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

This.

...and do it a couple weeks in advance if you can afford it so you can get the hang of the controls.

4. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

If they aren't paying you a standard price for professional wedding pictures then they aren't expecting pro results I'd imagine. If they are then your probably in trouble. Since the weddings 20 people it sounds like they are doing this on the cheap and they might actually be happy you took the pics and are willing to use you because you will take it seriously.

I'm not so sure about renting a camera though. Unless you really know the camera the learning curve will be huge compared to a point and shoot.

5. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Whatever you do, get a DSLR.

I did my first wedding with about 30 people with my canon 40D and kit lens.

6. free_notes

free_notes New Member

i've never shot weddings, or done any client-based photography, but it seems like they're hiring you for the type of work you've already done, and your sensibilities in the images they've seen.

equipment might make a difference in what you're able to achieve, but if you're not sensitive to those differences then equipment won't get you the images you want. your job at this function is not to discover these differences, they want you to take pictures the way you have been taking them. what they want (i'm guessing) is to capture memories, regardless of the quality or composition of the form they take.

so if it were me, instead of getting a handle on new equipment, i'd go to different kinds of functions and practice capturing the right moments with the equipment you have. concerts, sports events, parties, even other weddings if you get the chance, just to get a feel for being behind a camera at an event instead of being an active participant (although this might be something you adopt as well, i don't know.) in most cases this is called "the decisive moment," and is most evident in sports photography, where intense moments happen in an instant and then are gone, but the moment is captured forever as a photograph.

7. johan

johan Active Member

where do you plan to go with your photography?
    This will partially determine how 'deep' you should dive in at this moment.

Whether your present gear is lacking -- somewhat debatable -- but if you want to get serious anyways, now's the time.

Dunno what your 'people' photography exp is like, but regardless if you have the 'eye' or not, what will probably completely take you by surprise is the rapid pace you need to be running in order to catch everything.

Those prosumer boxes seem pretty sluggish to me, but then I don't own/use one.

Once you get used to weddings, things don't seem to be coming at you so fast...mostly because you have a feel for the tempo, the timing, the general sequence of events and you know the high notes you need to hit to be successful.

So...how deep are you planning to go?
    Be realistic. If its "not very", then the sanest answer might be to just stick to your current gear and go in there and snap away.

And remember that more/new gear is just the smallest part of it. You need to invest in yourself, mostly.

8. yexy

yexy New Member

Thank you very much for the great advice. I have a lot to think about. I want to go forward with photography, but I don't know that I want to be doing weddings and stuff like that per se...for this particular one she told me that if my photos are even just a little better than what a family member could snap, she'll be happy. I want to give this my best shot and surprise her with something really nice...I'm reading up more on how to use all the little features that my camera has, as I can't afford to upgrade to something spectacular. However, I did find a slave flash on Ebay that I think I'm going to get. I have a feeling that's going to help a lot with the posed shots and for other projects I've been attempting. I'll also check out more events in the meantime to practice. Thanks again! :big grin:

9. johan

johan Active Member

hey good luck man...

I think you're on the right track. A little off-cam flash improves portraits 1000x, and above all, working on your posing, composition, direction is way way better than just dropping coin on gear.

New gear doesn't hurt either, but if you don't have the cash, doesn't make sense to drop a load for a one-off event.

weddings are demanding but pretty damn rewarding when you see the gratitude and joy on people's faces when they see your pics.

post a few up afterward...assuming you get perm from the B&G to post their pics. Some couples are really anal about privacy.

have a good shoot.