A&P small venue tips?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by eWRXshun, Mar 30, 2006.

1. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

this evening i went w/ a friend's band to one of their local venues. place was small and poorly lit. i went to try my hand at band photography.

as a whole, i'd rate myself a D- for the job tonight and this is why.

1. ISO 3200. i could not, for the life of me, get a decent exposure/aperture value that would give enough lighting or a fast enough speed to where everthing wasn't a total blur. because of this sensitivity, everything has noise. (as though that weren't a given.) i'd forgotten that i turned it up that high and shot their whole performance like that.

2. my selection of lenses. i have a 17-85 f/4.0-5.6. focal length nice, aperture not open enough for such a dark place. i mean this place was dark. like six 120 watt lightbulbs w/ plastic filters over them. my bedroom is brighter. other lens was a 50 1.4. way too much magnification for the distance from the crowd to the band. couldn't even get an entire band member in a picture when holding the frame lengthwise due to the close proximity to them.

3. i just suck and need more practice.

any body have advice for a situation like this and how to get halfway decent shots under these conditions?

2. your server must be slow today

3. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

or i didn't post any pics at all because in my opinion, they suck. i'm asking for broad, generalized tips. not critiques.

4. natelam

natelam New Member

Get up close, and shoot wide. Even in really dark venues, I imagine at ISO3200 you could have gotten away with decent shots at 17mm f4. Center-weighted or spot metering, and use the darkness to your advantage to get those dramatic low-key, high contrast type shots. If the lights are directed on something (i.e. face of artist), fill your entire frame up with the better lit portions of the subject, and let your meter do the work. If there isn't enough light, there simply isn't enough light. But if there is enough to watch the performance with the naked eye, there is certainly enough for your camera.

If you can't crank the ISO anymore, and you are as wide as you can go, and wide open, handheld - Shoot strategically - know your handholding ability and get better at it! If there's a lot of motion and you're unable to achieve the right shutterspeeds, take shots at 'peaks' in range of motion - if you remember from physics, when a pendulum goes up, right when it's at the peak, velocity = 0, and with photography, that's usually a money shot anyways. Take advantage of that. Secondly, a popular technique technique is to used slow synced or front/rear curtain flash to freeze the subject in dark conditions. It would help if you posted your photos so we could tell what part of your technique or the venue could be improved.

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

manual or auto focus, if auto, what mode? AI servo?

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

If you use AF then One Shot should be fine, but AF might strugle in that light. Read the instructions about the different AF modes. If the person your taking photos of is jumping around and you were using a tele then servo would proably be more appropriate.

I would give MF a whirl, just double check your focus & remember to refocus when you move your feet. @ 17mm it is probably going to be locked on or close to INF though.

7. millero

millero Aluminum Member

I took these pictures at a really small venue: http://www.brysonjennings.com/live_lr_32506.php

I'm friends with the band and lately have been doing all of their photos (practice for me, pictures for them). Those shots were all taken with the kit lens for my Rebel XT. I didn't think they turned out too bad. But like what you described, the lighting in this room sucked too.

8. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

couple of your pics look like you used flash.

i didn't use one for a couple reasons.

1. i really don't know how to use one for proper effect.
    2. i don't have an external flash, just the one that's on the body.
    3. i like ambient lighting more than anything else.