Small system upgrade in truck.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Oct 8, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

One of my door speakers in my 1999 Dodge Ram died. I was thinking of just getting another one off ebay and just putting it in there. Then I got a wild hair to just replace the door speakers with something a little better but I have alot of questions.

First thing is my system is mostly stock. The door speakers are "slim" 6x9's. The rear speakers are 5 1/4's. Then it has small tweeters in the A pillars. All running off an Alpine head unit. No amp. No sub

I was thinking of just picking up some decent speakers to replace the 6x9's and then getting a good 2 channel amp. I would run the new door speakers and tweeters off the amp and let the rear speakers run off the Alpine. Keep in mind I am not looking for a top end system.

One issue is the depth of the door. As I said it has slim 6x9's from he factory. So I am not sure what else I can fit in there without an adapter.

Also, is there a way to kinda make an enclosure around the door speakers inside the door panel so that it doesn't just let most of the sound stay in the door instead of pushing it out in the cab?

I have alot of other questions but this is the basics of what I need.

Any suggesitons?

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

your best bet is to take the panels out and start measuring. Nothing's impossible.. I had 6x9's and made a wooden adapter for 6.5s :dunno:

Not sure what your asking, most door speakers are meant to be free-air though.. you're better off sealing your doors.

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure of how else to describe it but I think I have seen (or read about) some type of baffle that would enclose the backside (inside the door) of the speaker so that it acts liek an enclosure and allows the sound to come out of the speaker rather than inside the door. If it's inside the door you will "lose" some of the sound.
    Still not sure if that makes sense :dunno:

Eitehr way. I went to a local shop over the weekend and they resommended Rockford Fosgate punch 6x9s, tweeters for the a pillars and an amp. Either I could get a 50 x 2 (or 100 x 2) for the 6x9's and tweeters or I could get a 50 x 4 and get some 6.5's later down the line for my rear doors.

How is RF stuff nowadays? it souneded decent in the store.

5. Original

Original OT Supporter

most of the time when people are glassing door pods and such.. there simply isn't enough space to pull off a good sealed enclosure.

most will seal off the doors.. this just means deadening the doors properly to reduce resonance and improve bass response. then just mount the speakers as you normally would.

while there's nothing wrong with amping the rear speakers.. it's really not necessary since rears are only really needed for rear fill :dunno: they don't need tons of power. i may be biased though since I have a sub and that produces plenty of "fill" :hs:

haven't heard anything RF in a while I wouldn't know.. but if your ears like it, who cares of someone says something else may be better.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

yeah, I'm gonna ask them about sound proofing the doors. Probably alot $$$ extra though.

I do not think I would put a sub in so I would like to keep my rear fill. Actually the only thing I would even consider is maybe one 8" in a small box. I don't even know if that would be worth it though :dunno: . I really just want a nice, crisp, clear system with a decent mid bass that is tight and not boomy.

Any other thoughts?