Small Business NAS? Rackmountable?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mceguy, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mceguy

mceguy Guest

I'm looking to setup a small business customer of mine with a NAS, they're a graphics design company and they need a reasonable amount of network storage for the 6 current employees. I've certainly built small "servers" before to handle my fileshare needs at home and for friends but I'd like to make sure they get something supported and of good quality. Does anyone have some recommendations for a small business nas? I'd like to ensure its rack mountable - since they have a small rack and i'd rather keep them moving in the right direction regarding form factor etc. (I hate businesses who have pcs stacked in the "server room".

Any ways - heres one i'm looking at. They run a SBS 2003 server so i want to make sure it'll handle active directory permissions.. if this inst a good choice does anyone have any recommendations? I figure I can load it up with 5-750GB drives initially and grow as necessary. They're a pretty small shop but have the potential to grow to 10-15 in the next 1-2 years. I've also setup a Dell power connect 2724 for network - anything that can take advantage of the gigabit network speed would be a plus :)

I've also looked at a few Linksys NAS rack mount NAS models but I've been burned by Link's tech support one to many times..

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dell Poweredge 2900. Eight SAS/SATA drive bays, plus a DVD-ROM drive, for ~$5000. I've got one at work and with 8 750GB SATA drives in a RAID5 + 1 hotspare, it comes out to a little over 4 terabytes of storage. They can use that solution for the better part of the next decade before it'll be hopelessly obsolete.

Oh, and that price includes 3 years of next-business-day service.

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Is that a referral link?

4. tehganj

tehganj oh, hi.

5. jordanh

jordanh New Member

6. Invincible

Invincible OT Supporter

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

He's done that before with links, I don't know what the point is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.