small business ISP's?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

recommendations? this will be used basically for internet and email.

anybody know of the best deals on dsl or cable?

i am thinking that dsl is the only option in the business complex because there are no cable inputs anywhere.

any help is appreciated. thanks :x:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends on your area. Cable co's will often offer fibre if you want 5mbit/sec or more (just an approx).

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah....basically all we need is just the cheapest internet that will go as fast as a home dsl or cable connection. we are not running any servers or anything.

All we have is one computer hooked directly to it. Nothing special.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then call your local telco and cable co and ask for a quote. Basic dsl/cable lines are easy for them to quote. Depending on where your office is, the building may already have a POP and they can run a drop fairly easily and install a jack. However, if they don't have a POP then they may not be an option.

either way, no one in this forum can help you. Pick up your phone and call them.

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah...i did that. I am waiting on a response. I figured that I would jump on OT and ask here. I called cox (cable co out here) and qwest (dsl), and qwest does not offer service in the area and I am waiting on a response from cox.

either way, I was just wondering your opinions but it sounds like a specific question that can't be answered generically.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

If you're in Phoenix, then look at Cox business

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

cox is a no go in our building. qwest did not have anything either. phoenix people....any ideas?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

have you talked to building management? They should know options. You may have to go fractional T1 (spendy).

9. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I don't talk to building management since I do not own the business, yet, ;-). I might end up going to the other stores and asking what they use for a quick solution to this issue.

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

how much bandwidth do you need? Are you going to be hosting anything, or just local internet browsing? T1 prices are getting really cheap out here, but I worry that if qwest can't give you service that you might be in an area that is bad for copper.

You could also look into microwave based internet service. I don't know anything about this company, but it's the first one i found on google: http://www.phoenixinternet.net/

What area are you in?

11. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

this is in the ahwatukee area. the internet needs to be nothing special. no hosting, no network, nothing except for accessing websites and doing registration forms online.

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How many people are going to be using the net?

How about a wireless card from Verizon, Sprint, etc.... It will probably run you $60-$70/month unlimited. I've also seen routers that you can plug the PC cards into to share the connection.

13. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah that phoenix internet thing is $85 month for 512 download......no thanks. I will look around for some smaller providers out here though.

I had thought about doing the wireless card thing. We are only running one computer right now, possibly 2-3 in the future. There is no excessive need for speed or bandwidth.

I'm not sure what we were looking to spend, but probably the cheapest that offers relatively fast internet that can download files and upload a small webpage.