slowing internet connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jopache1, Jan 1, 2004.

1. jopache1

jopache1 Guest

i might be the first person ever that may want to do this but here is my problem. dad is sayin he wants to cancel the cable internet and go with dialup again(what a bastard) yet he watches lots of videos and listens to talk radio on the internet so he benefits from the speed. he wants to switch to dialup and i want some kind of program that will hog my connection so that when he does get on the dialup it is even slower than normal dialup, i figure after a week or so of this it will drive him crazy and he wont want to cancel the cable once and for all, i could leave kazaa running in the background downloading huge files but sometimes they disconnect and i dont want it hogging up everything, just enough to show that dialup is really freaking slow! does anyone know of a program like this that will slow down my internet connection?

2. jopache1

jopache1 Guest

i tried going into the control panel into the modem and setting the maximum port speed down, but that didnt work.

3. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Change the RWIN settings in the registry to a smaller setting
    By default, for Windows, this is set at 1500, back it down to around 100, most dialup really needs is around 500.

iSpeed has an FTP test for testing your connection, I'm not sure off hand if can do repeated test though.

But if you're dad watches a lot of steaming video and listens to streaming audio, switch back down to dialup he should see enough of a notice in lack of quality to end up back with cable.

5. jopache1

jopache1 Guest

where in the registry is this setting, i downloaded a program, drtcp and it has mtu but i dont see rwin, is it "tcp recieve window" by any chance?

6. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Why in the hell would your dad want to do this? :nuts:

7. jopache1

jopache1 Guest

im not using the exact number but the numbers are close

their international long distance is through att, they quoted 25 cents a minute to call venezuela.

we get our bill and it was outrageously high, like 800 dollars, they were charging us over a dollar per minute, we call, get it fixed, everything is a ok.

2nd month same thing happens

3rd month, same thing happens, we get it fixed and my dad pays the correct amount. then they send a letter saying we owe money and threatening to cancel the service if we dont pay even though he has already paid. and everytime we have to be put on hold and wait to talk to a representative, you would think by the second time they would have fixed it or something. so my dad doesnt really much like the cable compnay anymore because they keep screwin up and its wasting his time to get it fixed everytime.

so we have the "triple play package" which is digital cable with one premium movie package, two phone lines( i think its voIP or something, it runs off the cable but works like a normal phone, since it runs off cable that means no dsl is available) and cable internet. now my dad is pissed and says that we dont save that much money buying the things seperately and is saying he wants to cancel all the services and get dialup internet and use one of the phone lines for internet and other for home, and cancel the long distance because now he calls with a prepaid card which is cheaper anyways and they dont screw up. but its kind of pointless because he would be with the same company anyways. so im looking for ways of convincing him to not get dialup and save some money(im trying to see if we can cancel one of the phone lines and cancel the hbo(premium movie package) and see if it saves some money. and will probly be looking to cancel the byoa aol because its an extra ten bucks a month.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

"tcp recieve window" that's it
    and DRTCP is perfect for doing this.
    Just besure to select the right Adapter Setting, pick the one for your modem not your enthernet card.

Before he does head back to dialup, sign up with a free ISP (search for one here FreedomList.com and remind him of the difference. And since it's free, don't worry about banners and that crap plus it's easy enough to get cancel out of later when you need to.

9. jopache1

jopache1 Guest

ok.. thanks for all your help guys.. couldnt have done it without you all, thanks for reminding me to do it on the modem and not on the internet, i would have probably forgotten to do so, and ended up slowing it down on my etherent. thanks