Slow return from standby or hibernate??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Dec 1, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

So I'm a bit stumped here. I am pretty well advanced with comps - i know alot about the basics of keeping a computer running (got a computer i built in 98 that is still going strong - up 24/7 - built it on a tight budget - upgraded parts SLOWLY - still original motherboard though! - use it as an mp3 server, strangly enough - the power supply on it is still fine - after at least 35,000 of uptime!

Anyway - My Dell Inspiron 700 Laptop (i know i know - dell - i needed 4 pound range weight and cheap)

I keep it clean - defrag it several times a year, Run scandisk about twice as often as degrags. And i run avast antivirus with microsoft antispyware.

It seems as my computer is lagging a little bit more now than before - and worse yet - when i go into standby or hibernate - it randomly decides that instead of taking a minute to get to the login screen - it will take 7 or 8 minutes!

I have tried to find a pattern (if firefox is open, too many programs). I have gone to processlibrary.com and looked up all running processes to verify no bugs in there.

And it still happens!

What is a great stable tweak program that might help clean up the registry on my windows XP Pro OS? Maybe tweak other crap as well.

Thanks guys!

2. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

my dell 600m does the EXACT same thing, I also have not found a fix for it...

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Well the obvious fix would be for us to get real actual quality laptops but until i get my next raise in january, i'm still livin paycheck to paycheck

solutions??

4. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

i don't think your registry should bother standby or hibernate. I would guess that maybe you don't have the cache set high enough for hibernate (1.5 x System memory), try a reformat maybe? Alot of time, but if it bugs you that much....

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

how big is your pagefile?