slow network with airport

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Corporate Whore, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Corporate Whore

Corporate Whore New Member

i am having trouble streaming video to my macbook from my media centre PC in my livingroom via my wifi network, the video is choppy and skips, is this normal? it's a netgear router with the latest firmware and i have full signal strength. anything i can do to fix this?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

try rebooting the router and immediately streaming the video, see if it improves.

I have found quite a few cheaper routers (dlink :o) seem to get slower and slower as time goes on. bad firmware.

3. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

try moving the router around. While you may get good signal strength, something could be degrading the signal integrity (wireless telephone, microwave, random stray waves in your house, etc)

my router was besides my nonwireless printer and it would give me full signal strength but choppy internet connections. I moved it 5 feet away and it is flawless...

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

what model number netgear router? i have one of the white ones, not sure of the model #, but it's 802.11g. i don't have trouble streaming video from my server. is this HD video? that might be a problem if it is

i did notice that it had B+G enabled from the factory. since i'm only running G on my network, i switched it over to G. if i left it on the B+G setting, in theory it would run at B speeds

although i haven't tested it to work with my Wii or DS lite though, i might have to switch it back or hook up my old B router also. that way i'd have a B router and a G router and nice coverage.