Slow network performance

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ticallion, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Ticallion

Ticallion OT Supporter

When using 100mbps, either full or half duplex (full duplex is WORSE), full duplex never exceeds 1% utilization when transferring files, and half duplex never exceeds 5% utilization. Between ANY computers.

Four computers in the house, three PC's running XP pro, and one server running win 2003 standard server. Router/firewall for internet connectivity, and a shitty, shitty, shitty NetGear 4 port HUB (ugh). I'm guessing the problem is the hub, but any other advice you can give me is great. Two of the computers are running RTL8139's, and the other two are running whatever came on the motherboard.

Any network monitoring stuff i can use to check for collisions? Or where the delay is?

Thanks

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Try using brand new cables (move the computers next to each other) attached to the hub and see if you have the same issues.

How is the house wired? Cables converging into a patch panel? Any reason you can't replace the hub with a switch?

Also, what size are the files? If you try transferring 1 large file does it perform better?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

RTL8139 could be the problem. They're as crappy as crap comes.

Although I'd still put my money on the network cables.

4. Ticallion

Ticallion OT Supporter

No patchpanel. Straight wiring from hub to three of the computers. Dlink router has one link to the hub and one straight to one of the computers (right beside each other). I don't think there's a single wire longer than 25 feet. Hub is in the basement, router is on 1st floor. Wiring is along the 2x4's. All of the wiring is Belkin Cat5e commercial (ie, i didn't terminate it myself). No high voltages, no flourescent lights, no transformers.

All signs point to hub. I'll try bypassing it if I can find a crossover patch.

5. Ticallion

Ticallion OT Supporter

Oh, and I will replace the faulty component, be it the switch, wiring, or NICs, I just have to know which one before i dish out some short-supply student money :)

6. Ticallion

Ticallion OT Supporter

Did some more troubleshooting.

A-->B = SLOW!!!!!
    B-->A= FAST!!!!
    C<-->B=FAST!!!
    And the other we'll ignore for now.
    So this network card sends poorly (WTF!?!) This NIC is an SiS 900-based PCI (onboard). Incidentally, it receives information perfectly, just doesn't send quickly. Tried replacing network cable. So I know its not the hub, or the cabling. Must be the nic, configuration, or OS. Tried another computer on the same link, and got excellent speeds both ways.

Thanks!
    -Ross

7. Ticallion

Ticallion OT Supporter

Never mind, I'm stupid, and deserve to DIAF.

This stupid NIC was forced to full duplex, while the rest of the network is half duplex.

Running at 70% throughput. I'm happy :)

Thanks anyways, but my stupidity beats me again.