Slow Computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by yellowcard311, Jun 13, 2006.

1. yellowcard311

yellowcard311 New Member

My comp. is running really slow lately and its really pissing me off. Any help? Is there anything I can do to help ot go any faster or should I just dump all my files and just restart?

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Scan for spyware and/or viruses. Post a HiJack This! log file.

Go to your start menu and click Run: then type in msconfig

Remove any unneeded applications or unknown from the startup. If you deselect them, windows can and will still run the file, just only when you tell it to and not automatically when windows starts.

If after this it still doesn't speed up to your liking you might want to attempt to clean your registry, if you don't know what I'm talking about then just backup your needed data and start over with a fresh install of Windows.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

reformat is the best way.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Reformatting is always an option, but cleaning your hard drive will help a lot.

- Run "msconfig.exe", open the Startup tab, and uncheck any useless garbage programs that are in the list. Things like AcroTray, QTTask, and other such things are what you want to shut off here. Then click OK and close MSConfig.

- Open My Computer, right-click on your hard drive, and choose "Properties...". Click on the Disk Cleanup button, and when it's done scanning your hard drive, check all the options in the cleanup list EXCEPT "Compress Old Files". Unless you're running out of disk space, there's no reason to do this, and using the "Compress Old Files" option is a fairly stupid way to choose which files to compress, anyway.

- Defragment your hard drive. It's better to use a more comprehensive defragmenter like Norton Speed Disk, but the regular Windows defragmenter will do the job well enough.

That's a start. Then start digging through "Add/Remove Programs" and uninstall any programs you don't use anymore, and delete stuff like old saved games and old movies from your Documents folder. No reason to keep them around unless they serve a purpose.

5. deusexaethera

God damn it, I took too long typing. I was the first one in too.

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

how to get a *new* computer in 6 easy steps

Reformat is the way to go. You just have to get pissed enough to do it. I have done this for many people….I have seen so many decent consumer machines turned into worthless pieces of asshair because of spy/ad/mal-ware of all kinds and flavors. Doing the steps below will turn said pieces of asshair into the original decent computers they once were.

1. Go to bestbuy or whatever and get a cheap external hard drive. dump all the files you want to save on the external, (i suppose you could burn a bunch of cds or dvds or whatever)

2. Before you reformat...burn a cd with spybot search and destroy, ad aware, and make sure whatever antivirus program you want to use is on hand.

3. Load your xp cd, restart and reinstall windows, and make sure to choose the option that says it will reformat the hard drive. You will get a prompt asking if you are sure you want this, because everything will be on the drive will be erased. The answer is fuck yes, a thousand times yes.

4. when windows is brand new, DO NOT touch the internet until spybot is installed, and make sure you check the box to install teatimer in spybot as well. It keeps system and browser settings from being changed. This will protect everything somewhat from the clusterfuck that is the Internet vs. a windows based machine. Install ad-aware and antivirus as well.

5. The first thing you do when you connect to the internet is update spybot, ad-aware, and your antivirus. You don’t even need to open a browser to do this. BE VERY TERRIFIED OF THE INTERNET UNTIL YOU UPDATE SPYBOT, AND UNTIL WINDOWS IS TOTALLY PATCHED VIA WINDOWS UPDATE. In the start menu there is a link to windows update. Click it, and don’t go anywhere else. Be paranoid. A fresh windows machine is like a new ass in the state penitentiary, its going to get fucked soon. You must dedicate yourself to making certain you get everything patched, updated, and the whole nine yards before you use your machine on the internet again. Or else you’ll just be back where you started with a slow ass, shit-ridden machine. The way windows update works, you will likely have to reboot and keep going to windows update several times. Do not stop until it says there are no critical updates to be installed. Then you are ready for the outside world, my son.

6. Just keep spybot/adaware/AV updated, make sure the windows firewall (it sucks, but its better than nothing) is on, enable automatic updates, and I think that’s about it. If I left something out, someone let me know.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  7. deusexaethera

Windows Defender is a good alternative to Spybot, and from what I've seen, it's a first-party solution (made by Microsoft) that actually has a smaller resource footprint than the leading third-party solution (not made by Microsoft). It's also easier for Joe Idiot to use (no insult intended).