Slow-ass Seagate?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by skolen, Jan 9, 2007.

1. skolen

skolen Guest

Slow-ass Seagate? *UPDATED issue*

I bought a 400gb Seagate with a 16mb cache from BB last week cause I was running out of space on my 250gb WD with a 16mb cache.

After using this for a week I can tell it's significantly slower than the WD model and a lot noiser too. Booting from the WD took about 6 seconds to desktop (and Quicksilver & Suitcase auto-launched in under 2 seconds). The Seagate takes about 10-12 seconds to get to the desktop and then another 4 or so to finish auto-launching QS and Suitcase.

All while whirring and ticking away doing simple shit too like launching iTunes or Firefox which seem to hesitate now. Photoshop takes long to open as well.

Is this a problem with Seagates or the drive itself? Tests pass fine on it but I'm considering returning it to BB because of the speed difference (it was only $150 out the door w/inst. rebate).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

That's odd I've heard that Seagate's are some of the quietest drive you could buy. Between them and WD, I don't think I'd buy anything else. I can't say from personal experience, but it sounds to me like there could be something wrong with the drive. There's no good reason for there to be that much performance difference compared to your other HDD.

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

one could be a 5400 rpm speed and the other a 7200?

4. skolen

skolen Guest

No it's 7200.

5. ady

ady New Member

I've seen reports of some seagate 7200.10 and .9 drives having problems with speed and sound, you might want to google around if this is what you got. The WD line is apparently quieter at the moment than Seagate's consumer drives.

6. skolen

skolen Guest

I read some reviews on NewEgg. Turns out there's a jumper on there that throttles the transfer rate by default.

I removed it and it's running a bit faster, but still makes more noise than the WD's.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

all of my seagate drives are very noisy, but i love the 5yr warranty, so i'll deal with it

8. skolen

skolen Guest

Well I went to BB and picked up a 500gb WD w/a 16mb cache. Runs fast & as quiet as can be.

I transfered my info off the old drive in what I thought was the most practical method. I started from the OSX DVD and ran Disk Utility and used that to "restore" by copying from the Seagate to the WD. Everything is back how it should except for two things, Adobe CS2 and some alias folders.

I have the Seagate in an external kit ready to zero out before returning. But I notice when it's not plugged in the programs in Adobe CS2 will lock up at launch. But when it is plugged in, they launch fine. This appears to be the only problem I'm having. I can easily reinstall it, but would like to avoid the issue. Here's a screenshot of the new drive (w/aliased folders) and the old drive.

Any easy fix to this? Everything else seems to launch fine so I'll hold off on zeroing out the drive until tomorrow.

[​IMG]

9. skolen

skolen Guest

They're from several collections I grabbed off interfacelift.com

10. skolen

skolen Guest

Oh, I ran a CarbonCopy last night and it seems to have copied the files that Disk Utility didn't.

11. skolen

skolen Guest