Slouching... what exercises to fix this?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Skeletor, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've always had crappy posture, but my mom (physical therapist) says I don't have scoliosis, as did my doctor a few years ago (yes i need to get a physical more often :o )...

I'm wondering what are some exercises to make my back straighter, in particular it's not really my spine being curved abnormally, but my shoulders are rolled inward from the sides, so going upwards my spine is straight, but when you go form shoulder to shoulder accross the back there is a curve.... How can I fix this?

I try to keep my back tight when I'm doing rows, but no matter how hard I try I can't get my back to be completely straight, unless someone manipulated it with a lot of force... I'm worried that this will escalate into a serious back problem or maybe even get more of a hunch-shape when I'm old... what can I do now to target muscles to roll my shoulders more outward?

I've done searching and didn't really come up with any exercises.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Yeah I have been sleeping on my side my entire life.... I actually had shitty spine too but sleeping with a pillow between my legs actually fixed this, and now my lower back isn't curved more than it should be, and my posture is better... I just need to get my shoulders in proper place.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I don't have any pics, but if you guys watch UFC and remember what Tim Silvia's fucked up back looks like, imagine that only without the scoliosis...

4. etech

etech New Member

5. gubment cheese

gubment cheese New Member

I was going to post the very same question, I was wondering about it on my way in to work this morning.

I was thinking that exercises like face pulls would help...perhaps more rear delt work and heavy shrugs?

6. gubment cheese

Oh and I think I have heard that working the opposite of the chest and lats (they are called internal rotators or something like that) would help - since they tend to pull your shoulders forward...

no back + lots of chest work = quasimodo

7. Durk

Durk New Member

So shrugs are a :nono:

8. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

whenever i do lots of hyperextensions [> 3 x / week] i feel myself walking around with a tighter, more upright, posture.

:dunno:

9. Layman

Layman New Member

Same.

And heavy rows, too.

10. Mperor

Mperor Banned

a lot of it is just staying aware of your posture throughout the day. When you are sitting at your desk, make an effort to sit up straight. When you are walking, walk up straight with you shoulders back. It will take some time but if you think about it all the time your posture will adjust and it will become second nature.

11. gubment cheese

not so much, i think they mean that you should train rear and front/lateral equally...

in essence you shouldn't neglect any muscle group.

12. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
    I'd think farmer's walk might be an option? :dunno:

13. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Read the article that etech linked

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'm actually the opposite... I only do calisthenics but rows and pull ups and shrugs are way more strenuous than pushups, which is pretty much all I do for chest (do not comment)

My like I said, by sleeping with the pillow between my legs my spine has straightened out, and with all the ab work, back work, and lower back exercises I do, I actually find that even if I wanted to bend my back like it used to, I can't really, my spine is becoming more sturdy in the healthier position :coold:

I will definitely look up internal rotators though and see what I can do to work them.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

okay I've had confirmation that I don't have kyphosis and that I need to strengthen my lower traps in order to roll my shoulders back... going to do this for the next couple weeks and see where I'm at.

Thanks for the advice and links guys.

16. Ceaze

the pecs, lats, and subscapularis are internal rotators...when your shoulders are rounded forward you want to STRETCH those muscles because they're too tight, and strengthen the antagonistic muscles—lower traps, rhomboids, and external rotators. Doing more work for the internal rotators would just make it worse.

17. dixie normus

dixie normus Guest

^^seated rows (with good form)^^ for lower/mid traps & rhomboids

18. synthetic

synthetic New Member

standing shoulder press, because when you go with heavier weight your back beigns to curve backwards, seated db press is good too.

19. Durk

Durk New Member

:ugh2:

20. dixie normus

dixie normus Guest

i hope you're kidding :hsugh:

21. RRated

RRated New Member

Up Right ROWS, and Bench Dumbell Flyes. This will help roll the Shoulders back and increase Tension in the Rotator to keep the Upright SDhoulder posture. Use as Heavy weight as you can for each at 3 Sets 12-15 Reps.

22. Ceaze

dumbbell flyes will make it worse by increasing tension in the pecs and anterior delts

23. RRated

RRated New Member

Partially agree, but it will also stretch the rotator, which will allow for more stretch in the shoulder which will stop the:bigthumb: rolling forward motion.

24. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Id assume working the back would spread your chest and keep your shoulders from rolling so much, too.

So....basically what everyone else said.

EDIT- But im dumb, so take anything I say as lies.

25. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

No, you're absolutely correct... It just depends what specific muscles you work.

After just two workouts of doing some lower trap exercises and really focusing on keeping my back tight the whole tmie when doing rows, I can really tell which muscles to flex to keep my back straight. It will be hard to keep my back tight all day, but I figure once I've got those muscles strong enough it will naturally straighten out.

I'm also holding stretches for internal rotators an extra 10 seconds to loosen them up (normally do 25 second holds, increased to 35 for those specific muscles). Thanks for the info Ceaze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.