GUN slightly offtopic: seeking advice from LEO

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

I'm posting this here because I doubt there is a serious presence of cops in "On Topic."

I'm looking for some general advice about becoming a police officer. I'm 21 (flawless criminal record) and currently I'm 1 year short of my Bachelors degree (in English). Exploring career options, and law enforcement is intriguing.

I'm wondering if you guys could give me any general advice about the application process, time line for the application/hiring process, what I should be doing to increase my chance of getting hired, location (large city vs smaller town?), etc...

Any pertinent information which you guys could divulge would be fantastic.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm not not LEO but I'm on the same path as you. I've got 2 or 3 more years of school (changed majors halfway through so I'm spending some extra time in college :uh:)

I just talked to one a week or so ago about jobs, and it really sounded like the perfect job for me. The guy gave me an application and a bunch of info for being a Fish and Wildlife state trooper.

The things that I really liked about the job was that he gets to chose his hours every week, you can work 40 hrs or you can get a ton over overtime. There were job opportunities in a bunch of different cities here in Oregon and he got a job about 6 months after college. Transferring between departments is suppose to be pretty easy too if it turns out you don't like where you are.

Pay isn't anything amazing but for me, it's enough. Starting around $45k which may not sound like a lot for you guys in Cali and NY but around here it's not bad at all.

In for some more info, I know there's a couple cops that post regularly on here. Pro's and cons of the job would be nice :)

3. Changed

Changed Guest

Yeah, the main aspects which interest me:
    -ever changing job environment (veer important to me)
    -livable pay range
    -good benefits
    -the chance to help people

I also changed majors as a Junior, so I'll be graduating 1 semester late :greddy:

4. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Well, I'm not LE either, but I'm going through the app. process right now.

First of all, its a LONG process. I applied in October and the academy doesn't start until June.

You have to apply, take a written test, take a physical agility test, wait for them to do your background check (which is the step I'm at now), take a polygraph, go before an interview board, take a physical exam, and take a psych exam.

The test was the easy part, its the waiting that sucks.

Of course not every department will have the same application process.

Hope that helped a little :)

5. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I'm not a LEO but I applied in the past. Here are some tips I can give to you:
    -Apply to many different departments at once, the hiring process is super slow and you may pass one section for one and not pass it for another.
    -Go on a ride along with the agency you're applying for before you get to the interview
    -Know everything about the agency you are applying for ex: Jurisdiction, Sheriff/Chief
    -Get in decent physical shape ex:running, pull ups, push ups. No need to be able to bench press 500lbs
    -Be drug free, if you've done anything in the past year it's probably not wise to apply.

Other than that try going to officer.com and get other tips but many departments look for English majors. They want reports written correctly and strong cases to be built.

Good luck

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

if you have a pretty clean drug use record, i would consider the FBI.

7. Changed

Changed Guest

50+ marijuana uses
    1 time mushroom use
    DOC/2c-e/4 AcO-MiPT/Salvia/Kratom

:dunno: :mamoru:

I've never been in trouble with the law (not even a traffic ticket).

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You need a couple years of LE or military experience before you can apply to the FBI.

9. KIDRR

That could fuck you up on the lie detector or the drug test

10. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I have a friend that works there right now as a co-op and I'm seriously considering it when I get my Bachelor's. I have a little under a year left and then I'll have to wait a few more months until I'm 23 (minimum age for Special Agents).

My friend is pretty likely to be get a job if he wants it but I'm very :noes: about it.

11. Changed

Changed Guest

you mean for FBI, or for any law enforcement?

Of those that I listed, only marijuana and mushrooms are illegal (as of the date I used them).

I quit smoking Nov. 23rd of this year. I will be graduating December 14, 2007. So, it will be more than a year of no drugs. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  12. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

eh

i think they have become a lot more lax. just as with security clearances - as long as you are 100% honest you will be straight

13. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I just jumped on in a really small town just to get my foot in the door and get experience. In a year I'm moving on to a bigger department. Once you are certified and have experience it's much easier getting on with a larger department.

14. Changed

Changed Guest

how big you talking? I live in a nice city of 30,000 people (lots of college students)

is it easy to go from one city to the next and not lose rank/pay/etc... ?

15. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

My town is much smaller than that. If you are switching departments I wouldn't bet on keeping your current rank or pay. You may start out more than a fresh rookie pay ways when transferring to a larger department but it's not guaranteed. Most bigger depts pay you more if you have a degree.

16. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Do you have any experience with the FBI?

17. Changed

Changed Guest

can somebody tell me what is on the Civil Service test that you have to take?

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

What's your major now? Sounds like something where I might end up.

< Forester

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I almost did forestry but I decided on the Fish and Wildlife program here. I still have to take a couple Forestry classes though. How close are you to being done?

20. Changed

Changed Guest

21. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Year and a half. F&W is packed here, every outdoorsy type takes it or sports mgmt or parks rec and tourism.

I like forestry better. When your end goal is 27 years away, there's no rush for ANYTHING. :o

22. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

If you plan on using the "I like helping people" argument then you probably want to check into doing volunteer work. Not only for law enforcement jobs, but in general. Words backed up by action have a lot more weight to them than just words alone.

23. KIDRR

That's a lot of drug use, if you admit that you used that many drugs you are almost guaranteed disqualification.

Not really, around here at least. A guy applying wrote down on his app that he had some moderate drug use in his past and all the officers were looking at his app shaking their head. However, I know some smaller departments that are a lot more relaxed and even have officers with DUI's but those are like 5 man departments.

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

27 years is a fucking long time :o

25. Changed

Changed Guest

I'm thinking about doing the Peace Corps immediately after I graduate my college, so that's why I made this thread really. I wanted to get a picture of the time line of the process.