Slightly divergent: I was listening to...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by huntz0r, Jun 4, 2006.

1. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

the album "Red Letter Days" by The Wallflowers. To me, anyway, the whole thing is a striking chronicle of a guy who gets in over his head in a relationship, and it becomes codependent and self-destructive to the point where in his gut he despises this woman but still can't quit her. There is something I can empathize with in just about every song after my own similar experience (was with my ex 3 years, we were engaged, she cheated, I was the stupidest guy since Samson; old story).

A few of them really stand out to me...

"Closer to You" - deeply felt romance that really is desperation, need, and maybe a bit of obsession under the surface.

"Three Ways" - recognize that you can't fix everything, and if you can't let go of an unfixable mess, it might destroy you.

"Here in Pleasantville" - the pitfalls of romantic idealism.

The thing about love (or anti-love) songs is how many of them get everything wrong. Rarely do I hear music that I can relate to so well on this topic.

Just a few random thoughts... if nobody here cares then I haven't wasted too much time expanding on them :)