sleeping question...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by who?, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. who?

who? Guest

we all know that you become tired, sore, cold and feeling like shit when you dont sleep enough, but what are the effects of sleeping too much?

on weekends, like today, i slept till 12 and woke up feeling like complete shit, i was also really tired.... i mean, isnt sleep supposed to "cure" you of your tiredness?

2. fahrfrumlosin

fahrfrumlosin OT Supporter

lots of factors...mostly environmental....how many pillows you slept on, angle of your neck...etc...can cause a crappy night of sleep, even if more than 8hrs.

Also I've read that too much sleep is not too great either.

3. Undefined

Undefined New Member

yea too much sleep on a consistent basis makes me even more tired than too little sleep. i think the key is just consistently getting 8-9 hours, not days where you sleep 4 hours and then 12 hours on the weekend, that fucks me up at least.

4. who?

who? Guest

but does anyone know why the more sleep you get, the more tired you are? sleep replenishes your enegy and stuff right?

5. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I wanna know this answer too.. when my body alarm wakes me up (usually 11-12 hours) I'm usually tired. When my actual alarm clock wakes me up (8-9) or even my phone, I'm very alert and not tired throughout the whole day

6. Big_Luke

Big_Luke serious as dick cancer

possibly after 8-10 hours your body starts to go into a fasting mode and starts to pull energy from your body.

I think that is what somebody told me one time.

7. Big_Luke

my bio clock is all fucked up. I work nights. But typically when I get home, I pass out for a good 7-8 hours and wake up on my own with really good deep sleep. But when I don't work nights and sleep at night, I tend to sleep in a long ass time.

8. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

no matter if I get 4 hours, or 12 hours, when I wake up, 90% of the time I feel like SHIT, and it's a big battle to get out of bed

is this normal for everyone or just me? :dunno:

9. quickone

quickone New Member

its me too...sucks

10. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

I am the most non morning person of all time. Ever.

11. multiplexor

multiplexor Intellectual

Drink alot of water? If not start drinking :big grin:

If i remember correctly, the body needs betwen 6-8 hours... idealy 8 if possible... :big grin: any more and i believe your body starts using it's energy.
    whereas, in the regular sleep hours your body is simply using up what's
    been eaten in the day... finalizing the stomach's remaining foods, cleaning up,
    ridding body of toxins, etc...

by the way, on that note, in theory, we should all be going to sleep before roughly 11:30... the body starts going into a toxin dump mode at around midnight... thus when your still up after midnight, your body isn't dumping at it's regular time and causing the body to have toxins in it's system for an extended period of time...

which leads to the need for water, because it'll help your body rid itself of toxins much much faster... water is key! :big grin:

12. Big_Luke

body toxin dump and midnight? :hsugh:

13. devman

devman New Member

You probably built up a sleep deficit by not sleeping enough during the week, and sleeping for 12 hours on a weekend is not enough to make it up. If your body needs 8 hours of sleep a night and you only get 6 for 5 nights thats a 10 hour deficit. Sleeping for 12 on a weekend can not make up that 10 hour deficit, so you still feel tired.

14. multiplexor

multiplexor Intellectual

yeah, at roughly midnight, your body starts going into a deep clean system to rid itself of toxins....

15. multiplexor

multiplexor Intellectual

Let's discuss your dynamic hormones. There are four major dynamic hormones. The most dynamic hormone in your body is growth hormone. It's important in controlling basic protein synthesis, and in augmenting protein synthesis under certain conditions, such as exercise, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and Phase IV sleep. We think increased growth hormone production during deep sleep is a designed upregulation increase) of liver protein synthesis so you get maximum detoxification at 3:00 a.m. (Liver enzymes, which are proteins, are necessary to neutralize toxins and remove them from the body.) The liver has the highest protein synthesis rate in the body, and you have to get the protein synthesis augmentation around midnight to get maximum detoxification, at 3:00 (if you live on a normal schedule). If you do not have dynamic growth hormone response, then the following terrible things happen: You lose your protein synthesis; what that means in a big way is that you can no longer heal, and you can no longer get well, you cannot exercise, and you cannot detoxify. And you cannot handle hypoglycemia. [Your blood sugar can fall to levels that make it both physical and mental functioning very difficult, and your body does not respond by increasing blood sugar to normal levels.)

16. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

that's retarded. how can your body know its midnight?

anyway,

I've read that people need between 4-11 hours and there's not really any reason why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.