SRS Sleep Problems

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by registeredPORK, Sep 11, 2008.

1. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

Will, just to give a short run-down ... I have bad sciatica that prevents me from sleeping at night so the doc prescribed some hydrocodone to help me sleep. I slept like a baby for the first 1 1/2 months, but lately... it's been all jacked up!!

I'll take it an hour before heading to bed, and then sleep for about 3 hours or so and then wake up. I usually fall back asleep quickly, but then I start waking up every hour after that until I have to actually get up and go to work.

I'm pretty sure this is not a side effect of the medication ... so could it just be me and that I need a separate doctor's visit to my sciatica? It's all so confusing ... :noes:

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica#Diagnosis_and_treatment

Wiki has some good info on Sciata, i think the best thing you can do is go jogging, because while jogging the nerves are constantly stretched and compressed which will make them more flexible, along with a good wear and tear would create more space for the nerves to pass thru the holes.

There are many sedatives on the market, i think you can just go to your current doctor and say the medicine is not working for me anymore, can i try something else.

3. registeredPORK

Thanks.

But that's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to go to my doctor and say, "Please, prescribe me something stronger." I want to kind of start coming back from having to take the medication at night when the pain is progressively worse.

I do long walks... and that seem to help, including the stretching that I've been doing. Time to rip those muscles ><

Inforpics: Thanks. I wasn't aware that that might have an effect on some people. Maybe it is just how my body is reacting to the medication then.

Thanks you two :)

4. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

See if you can get a sleeping med to go along with it. Something like a, mbien CR that's meant to make sure you stay asleep all night. Or just trying taking something OTC like unisom.

5. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

have you tried inversion therapy (an inversion table)?

I had sciatic so bad for awhile that I couldn't sit for very long at all. Also I couldn't walk properly for a couple of months (had to kind of shuffle and couldn't walk very fast).

Inversion therapy helped while I had access to a table

I also had good results from taking 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for about a week, then taking ibuprofen as needed after that

But what made the most difference for me was sleeping on the floor, on my side for 3 months.

You are going to have to get at the root cause of your problem, you can't just keep taking more and more pain medicine. With the possibility of addiction and the general health effects of regularly taking narcotics, you owe it to yourself to try everything to resolve your problem.

Also a good chiropractor can work wonders, I did that as well.

6. registeredPORK

No. I'm just doing physical therapy right now and to tell you the truth, it's been helping a lot. My leg doesn't hurt as much any more but I do get tingly sensations here and there.

I'm meeting with the doc soon so I'll probably talk to him more about things like this and what else can be done.

This is the second time where it 's gotten so bad that I could hardly walk.

7. Redsand426

Redsand426 Active Member

Hydrocodone as a sleeping aid? That's kind of stupid... he should have prescribed you ambien cr or something.

Lately I've had trouble getting to sleep and I was going to get an appointment until I heard of this stuff called melatonin. I've been taking 5mg of it before I go to bed and it knocks me out. You can find it at Walmart in a purple bottle.

8. registeredPORK

Hydrocodone as a sleeping AND anti-pain aid.