Sleep Apnea update

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by fatmoocow, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Well, per OT's advice I went back to the doc and had the sleep study done. It looks like I'm in the 12 occurrences per hour range which puts me just short of the 20 required for the mask. This is cool though as the doc put me on provigil. Holy shit it's great. I don't really take any stimulants or caffeine and a low dose of 100mg puts me on fire. I can eat pizza for lunch and be wide awake working on spreadsheets. I think a few months of this and we'll probably have the weight down too.

Moral of the story. Go to the fucking doctor. Hell go every so often even if you don't have any problems. My doc originally suggested I might have sleep apnea when I was having him check out a mole. If you are like me you probably don't even realize how good you don't have it. You pay all that insurance for a reason.

2. archangel

archangel Active Member

what made u suspect you were having sleep apnea? Is snoring a symptom?

3. fatmoocow

snoring can be an indicator. My doc to one look at me and starts asking questions about being sleepy during the day. I had no idea really. Apparently armpit discoloration is an indicator. If you live with a chick ask her if you stop breathing or breath heavy then light then heavy etc.

4. Finest

Finest OG #93

You just described my mornings. :wtc:

And I have had a few instances where I'd wake up gasping for air. My wife says I snore when sleeping in certain positions, but I never hear it. :o

Dammit, calling up for an appointment soon. 5 yrs of paying medical insurance and haven't seen the doc once yet. Let's hope there isn't more things wrong with me. :x:

5. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Definitely go.

I had my first sleep study in September and like an idiot waited for months to reschedule the 2nd one. I had the 2nd at the end of July and I am currently waiting for my CPAP to come.

6. fatmoocow

losing weight can make a big difference but not always

7. dengar

My 2nd sleep study I was on the CPAP all night. They were basically getting the settings for when I get my own.

8. dengar

Cpap crew holla! :h5:

9. swenjj

swenjj New Member

i had sleep apnea really really bad, i got fatter, more apnea,more fat, then i did the machine for a while, i had surgery to correct the apnea.now two years later i am 165 pounds lighter, i went from about 6 foot 2 and half inches and 341 pounds to now im about 175 or so,

makes a huge difference in your life if you can sleep and have energy during the day

10. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

is weight an indication of sleep apnea? I always get a food coma ~1-2pm and i literally doze off trying to write notes which end up as scribbles. but i think its due to lack of sleep than anything (FUCKIN TF2!!). go to bed sometimes at 1am-ish, get up at 7

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

sounds exactly like me.. but my gf says that she doesnt notice that i stop breathing.. then again, she falls asleep before me and then gets up and goes to work -- so what the hell does she know.

i have all of these symptoms:

especially 1, 2, and 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.