GUN Sks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Robb, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Im looking at getting a SKS, i wanna change out the stock for a folding one and get some 50 round mags, and maybe one w/ a bayonette for teh coolness. Are these guns pretty good, i know they're dirt cheap right now and easily modded. Ive heard there not that accurate, but thats ok, its for home defense purposes. Anyways, all thoughts are appreciated.

2. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

i just bought one myself, cool gun. reliability is comparable to the ak-47 from what i have herd. i have also herd from a few peolpe that when you put a detachable mag on an sks, it wont load the last round... but i would think thats a case by case problem.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

thats cool, what type of ammo does it take, the ones im looking at are like 7.62 by 39 or something. Is it only good for plinking/home defense? you can hunt w/it or anything i would assume? Are there any drums available or is the 50 round mags the most ammo you can have? How much was yours, im looking at some that are 119 and wonder if thats the best price

4. Car54

Car54 Member

I took an SKS in trade for some work on a friends car. he got it from inter-ordinance, and I love it. I got it still packed in cosmoline, with the factory nonremovable mag. I modded mine for detachable mags, only required a little sanding. I had a huge problem with the first couple mags I bought, and then picked up a USA magazines 30rd for it. this is the only mag that works flawlessly, it has never jammed with this mag. I bought three more and all four work great. its good enough for having fun.. I am glad I have it. ammo is cheap and plentiful, the rifle I got was in excellent shape.

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

An SKS might not be the best rifle for home defense purposes. They are tough to attach a white light for target identification, the sights are poor for CQB distances and 7.62 x 39 is very likely to overpenetrate bodies and walls and whatever else happens to be in its way. Up close 7.62 x 39 will keep going and going. If you live alone far out in the country you don't have anything to worry about killing anything/anyone negligently from overpenetration but if that isn't your living situation you might want to pick something else (say a shotgun) for home defense.

That said, they are a very fun gun and cheap to feed.

6. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

The ATI folding stocks are pretty cheap. Definitely not worth more than $30.00.

The 50 round magazines don't work. Stick with the 30 rounders.

7. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

They're neat rifles, but not for home defense. If you want a long gun for home defense, get a shotgun.

And get the SKS anyway. Accuracy isn't THAT bad. They're fun to shoot and if you want to build a bubba rifle, bubba SKS parts are cheap. I've got a folder and several 30 rounders but I can't bring myself to put them on my nice '54 Tula. Gonna have to get a Yugo :)

8. Robb

Robb Guest

Id much rather have tons of rounds rather than having a shotgun, i think 20-30 would assure my safety rather than a few shotgun shells. What if there are multiple intruders? or an entire gang tries to break into my house? Id rather be prepared, and have more ammo than id need, rather than not having enough. Are there any drums made for the sks? Id like to have a min. of 100 rounds, but all i see are the 30 and 50 rounds magazines

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

7.62 HP's are useless. they're not bonded jackets, so the jackets simply shed upon impact with anything. that means that the round is pretty unpredictable in its terminal ballistics behavior. and, the jacket is so thick that it might not move at all. it might not even open up.

10. Robb

Robb Guest

I would buy the ak47 but im seeing them for about 300+ and the sks(~100) folding stock ~50 mags ~30

11. tthame1

tthame1 New Member

I'm not fond of the sks. They are not accurate at all, but they are reliable. If money is an issue, just find an ak47. If money is not as big of an issue, get an ar15.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  12. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

SKS's are not accurate, but AK-47's are? Alright. :rolleyes:

edit: I'm sorry, I meant "ak7" :ugh:

13. tthame1

tthame1 New Member

Well, the AK's that I've shot have been tons more accurate than the sks's I have. Granted, the AK's I've shot aren't just your average chinese ak's. I'm not saying that they are very accurate, just saying that they are more accurate than sks's.

I personally wouldn't own either one of them, but if money is really an issue, I'd take an ak over an sks any day.

And I just noticed the typo you were referring to.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok I've got an SKS and a few AK's.. the SKS is more accurate then any of the 7.62 ak's i have with the exception being the RPK (for those who dont know its a long barrelled AK) which is about as accurate. if you want to use drum's get an AK you can get one for $300. SKS will not take take drums with out doing alot of modifcations and you will end up having reliability issues. 7.62x39 is fine for hunting ive taken deer with it before. I wouldnt recomend if for a home defense round unless as said earlier you live alone and have no close nieghbors.. yes you can get sp's or hp's but the cheap brands ie wolf dont work quite as well as say winchester or remington sp's.. and the non military surp ammo tends to have softer primers which can lead to a slam fireing..

15. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

Sks-d > *.sks.*

16. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I prefer keeping the original magazine on my SKS. With stripper clips, you can keep the gun going fast and furious.
    I have had Chinese, Chinese Para's and Yugos.
    Yugos are my favorite, the Chinese was nice. Stay away from the Chinese Para, they are shortened up by importers and don't work as well with the gas system.

17. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

does ANYONE have a link where i can buy a QUALITY stock for my sks

ca legal plz

18. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Try www.cabelas.com or looking up cabela's. The best aftermarket for the SKS is the Butler Creek synthetic. Anyone that argues is a moron, with the exception of a few nice wooden laminate stocks that were made, but those aren't made anymore and aren't common enough to be compared.

19. Robb

Robb Guest

"I prefer keeping the original magazine on my SKS. With stripper clips, you can keep the gun going fast and furious."

Ive seen stripper clips on gunbroker.com and didnt know what they were, Can you explain them to me? Also, are there any modifications needed to fit 30 round clips after i buy the sks? Thanks for your time.

20. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

To me on a SKS (unless it's a SKS-D)

stripper clips > duckbill aftermarket bullshit mag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep it as it was designed to work and then mod.

Just my Opinion.

21. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

And I've shot at LEAST 3000 rounds out of that rifle - and I've NEVER had a problem out of that rifle. When I squeeze that trigger it goes boom - every time. I've shot a lot of those duckbill magazines and they are pieces of shit. If you want a dependable rifle that holds more than 10 rounds, a SKS is not for you... Not even a SKS-D which is MADE to take AK magazines is NOT what you want.

My Opinion again.

22. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

I don't have any close up pics of my friend's SKS-D but I have these.

SKS-D is DESIGNED to take AK magazines... It's a shorty too.. Pretty rare in the SKS market...

All I have right now..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes that is my friend trying to rapid fire it.... 100000000% better than duckbill magazines but I still wouldn't trust my life on it...

23. Clingman

One wall, sure. ALL the walls in your house, no. That's why police use them: less chance of finding holes in the neighbors' house (or in the neighbors). And there's no way a 7.62x39 can get the energy transfer, especially at close range, that you can get with a shotgun. Which is what you want in home defense: hit the intruder so fucking hard that he goes flying back down the hall away from you, without putting a hole all the way through your house.

7.62x39 HP's are worthless.

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

you, sir, get the "ignorance in terminal ballistics" award of today.

25. Clingman

Don't just assume that I'm talking about some giant, heavy shot.

From the Firearms tactical institute:

Effective wound ballistics without over-penetration? Check.

Also from the Firearms Tactical Institute, and an article on the effects of the standard (I'll get to hp's in a minute) 7.62x39 wounds:

I'm seeing a pattern here :o

I found nothing on the 7.62x39 122 grain wolf HP load, because no one seems to have seriously investigated its wound ballistics. I personally have burned 500 rounds of the stuff, and can tell you that instead of expanding and dumping its energy like you might expect, it tends to shed most of the jacket and what's left keeps on going. Perhaps you could post regarding your personal experiences on this matter, or find some information that conflicts with mine, instead of just name calling? :wavey:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs1.htm

edited to add links