GUN SKS questions. More beginner stuff

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Dec 12, 2005.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

All this talk about SKS's, coupled with me seeing one in action at the range got me thinking. Maybe i should get one.

The only thing, i know chit about them, becides they are semi auto, with what looks like a built in magazine.

The gun store around me has used stuff and a lot of old yugo and such guns, but what are the key identifiers of an SKS (is it printed somewhere, seriel numbers, key stying, etc) and are they problem spots I should look for when there.

thanks in advanced, Big 5 has Yugoslavian guns for 80 bucks, they look just like the SKS pics i keep seeing, but im not sure

thanks in advanced

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All SKS's look identicle only possible differences are some have a fixed bayonet that folds out, yugo's have a muzzlebrake that also work as a grenade launcher, other then that they'll look the same unless theyve been modified with aftermarket stocks. Theres a few online places that sell shooting grade yugo's for 100-120ish.. I'de be wary of any $80 yugo SKS's they've probably seen alot of use, if you go for one make sure the bores not all dark, and theres rifling left in the barrel. Depending on what import markings were put on them good chance it wont say SKS on it, shops here though all have tag's on the guns stating model, country of origin etc..

pic of a few different sks makes

[​IMG]

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh yeah there some chinese ones imported called "paratrooper" models with the barrel cut down, stick with the full size ones.

5. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Very cool, thanks. Im reading up on Ar15.com. If i find one I like, I may just jump on. I really shouldnt spend the money, but man, you cant take it with you right.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Personally I enjoy shooting my semi auto's more then bolt (i dont have any super long range ranges here though) semi is fun to just sit and plink with. Being in Ca. your pretty limited in what fun semi's you can buy, the SKS is a nice choice, its versatile, fun plinker for the range, can take any game in Ca. you'll come across with it, ammo is cheap.

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I concur

8. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

:bowdown:your a salesman alright. We'll see, i will most likely be getting one, buti may wait till after christmas. Or maybe not. We'll see.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Shop around and look for a good price, sounds like your in the Frisco area? I take it probably not to many gun shops around, might want to consider purchasing one online and having it sent to a local FFL.
    http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html
    they may sell the neutered cali version also.
    http://www.centuryarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=522

10. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Ugh, im not going through an FFL. they all want at least 40 bucks to recieve. Big 5 has some in the 100 buck range from yugo. and my local shop has some in the racks ill check out.

thanks though. I will see tommorow what they have.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ah yeah i agree $40 is pricey, few places here that do it for $20-25.. but yeah $40 + shipping tacked onto $120-130 may as well do local

12. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

IF the guy is local, BIg 5 will transfer if both parties are there in person for 10 bucks. But ill see whats around today after my final.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You cann't do face to face sales in Ca.? You need to look into moving to another state when you finish school.

14. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

You can do face to face transfers, thats the only kind that Big 5 will do. All transfers have to go through a FFL if thats what you mean.

and yes, for grad school i may go out of state to see the world beyond Kommifornia.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm trying to get out of NY we dont got it quite as bad as some other states, but our state law mirrors the expired federal assualt weapon ban so I still cannt put folding stocks on my SAR's and stuff, but say I want to sell a rifle to a friend we wouldnt have to goto a FFL, he could come over give me the money and take the rifle. no paperwork has to be filled out.

16. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

man talk about a good deal. we definatly get shafted in the gun department in CA, but at least I dont live in san francisco:wiggle:

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep I think Cali like NY gets shafted bad by the majority of the politicians who live in the urban areas, If NYC and Long Island broke off of NY to form there own state I think NY would probably be pretty good, probably even get to have class3 stuff, ide move off of LI in a heart beat find a job upstate or even commute. Cali is probably same way poli's from LA, Frisco, etc fuck up everyone else.

18. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

The problem with Yugos is the lack of chrome lined barrels, that combined with the very corrosive yugo ammo can create a really bad barrel that wont shoot very well.

If you shop around you can find shops that list them in excellent condition for not much more, these are verified to be in good shape.

After xmas I'm planning on getting a never fired yugo for about 160.

I currently have my dad's chinese sks which I'm borrowing for deer season, it's a great gun and a lot of fun to shoot. I think the only problem I've had so far is finding decent hunting ammo, I'm not to fond of hunting with FMJ rounds, but a good shot will still do its job.

http://www.sksboards.com/forum/ is another good site to read

19. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

thanks d0nk3y, the big 5 here has a few different countries, yugos stick out cause they were consitered to be good or excellent for 80 bucks, but for a bit more they had other countries.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've got a bunch of ChiCom steel core 7.62, its corrosive but as long as you clean the rifle up good after no big deal, but yeah gotta worry about the issued ones prior use, definently make sure the bore isnt all dark. And with an average of $80 price different between "shooting grade" and unissued its worth going with an unissued one

21. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

well i went to the local gun shop.

300 bucks for what i would consiter a decent yugo

475 for a nice russion.

im going to another shop soon.

Now a guy i know recently told me that the SKS's arnt that accurate. What kind of grouping do these things have at say 50yds, or even 100yds(though i prob wont shoot this far).

22. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

forget that AIM has unissued condition for like $179 for yugo's, russians here dont even sell for more then $250ish.

well the SKS isn't a sniper rifle, you can throw a scope on it or whatever annd its its accurate enough upto like 300 yards. Iron sights at 100 yards expect couple inch groupings with good ammo.

23. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

cool At this point, thats better then me, so thats what i wanted to hear. My search will continue, ill be going to another collectable gun shop tommorow. Thanks for helpin out so much in this thread.

24. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

and the only scope mounts that will hold a zero perfectly are the type that require you to tap the side of the reciever to install the mount. Scope mounts that replace the receiver cover, gas chamber cover, or rear sight move too much to be useful.

I personally feel a scope is a waste, the iron sights are great for its effective range anyhow.

and yeah, those prices are way too high.

25. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Agreed I never bothered with any optics on sks's ive had. It'll never be a sniper rifle platform and the sights are good enough to hit out to the effective range of the 7.62 round. I actually found it to me be most accurate with surplus chicom ammo, shot better with that then winchester.