GUN SKS problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by konrad109, Jul 14, 2008.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Took my Yugo SKS to the range for the first time, and it wouldn't eject the spent round or cycle the next one. The bolt was going only about half the way it should.

I decided to cut the bolt return spring (the curly spring that is closest to the butt). I trimmed off about an inch and a half and it started to eject and cycle, but only about half the time. I didn't cut any more off because the people who borrowed me the pliers had already left the range. I think if I trim off another half inch it should be fine. Is there any possible dangers that could come from this? There is still a decent amount of tension from the spring when the bolt is all the way back.

I compared the pressure from all the springs on my SKS to my friend's SKS, and they were more or less the same. The gun was cleaned thoroughly before use. Anyone know what could have been causing this or if there is any danger in modding the gun this way?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. hayguyz

hayguyz New Member

have you inspected the gas piston?

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

It seemed to behave normally. Smooth operation and no visible scratches. It seemed to move the same way as my buddy's working SKS.

I could not find a noticecable difference in the tension it took to move important parts between my gun and my buddys gun. His bolt seemd tighter than mine since my spring had been cut.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I hope you made sure you had the gas valve turned on and not off in grenade launcher mode. I'm assuming you did since it was half cycling but...

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

yes, at first I also thought this was the problem so I checked and recleaned the whole gas port and made sure the valve was in the right position

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sounds like you're going down the right road, I seem to recall reading that some sks's just wound up having bad gas valve and are in need of replacement.

A little googling shows I remember correctly.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/lastgreatsks/index.asp
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=171213

Thats where I'd look next for a real solution.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Thanks.

So that means my current gas valve either leaks or the gas hole isn't big enough. Either way there isn't enough pressure.

I was worried about reducing the tension in the spring because I thoguht maybe one day the gun would clear itself or something and more gas would be fed back which might be dangerous with a looser spring. But it sounds like if I keep the current gas valve/port this won't happen. I think my fix will work, and its free.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think the biggest problem with clipping the spring would be that the leak changes one day and either as you said seals better and delivers more gas to a weakened recoil spring, or the leak gets worse and you have to buy a new valve and now a recoil spring tool because it quit cycling again. At some point the leak is going to be big enough that if you clip off enough spring for the gun to cycle it might start to have problems stripping rounds off especially as the gun gets dirty. Just wild guesses. Personally I'd spend the $10 and do it right but it is an sks...

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yeah you're probably right. I'm gonna order some parts for it in the next few months when I have some spare cash but I think the cut spring solution will be fine for the next couple times I go shooting.

10. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

epic lack of avs in here

11. cent

cent New Member

buy some grenades of course :mamoru:

12. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Whats so unbelievable about it? It fixed the problem. Not like I can buy a new valve while on the range.