GUN SKS or Saiga?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by itchiban, Mar 9, 2004.

1. itchiban

itchiban Guest

I have been looking for a new semi-auto rifle and have narrowed it down to the SKS and Saiga. Obviously these are the two cheapest out there, but they have good dollar/value ratio. Now if my bank account would allow I would be getting a DSA FAL. But it doesn’t. :( My main goal with the rifle is to make it an adequate med range target shooter. Nothing match quality or for competition. Just something decent and reliable. I will be pistol gripping/dragunov-ing either, which is where my debate starts. Here is my pro/con list.

SKS

Pro: sporter is a must. I want it to take AK mags. Easy to come by 10,20 or 30 rounders.

Pro: Cheaper, not by an excessive amount. But cheaper regardless.

Pro: Pistol gripping it, (actually, I'd probably do a drag stock on either) is effortless.

Con: I REALLY want a 7.62 NATO (.308win) rifle. But the SKS is only available in 7.62x39

Con: I like how the Saiga LOOKS more. Not extremely important, but its still a con.

Saiga

Pro: Available in 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39 and 5.62 NATO. I would go with the .308 first, then the .223, but not by much. Still juggling that one in my head.

Pro: Looks, as mentioned above.

Pro: Reliability. The SKS is no lemon, but these things are known to be very reliable, just like their cousin the AK.

Con: Pistol grip/drag stock is a bitch. This isn't rocket science, but I'm not a gunsmith. I am handy but I don’t have an unlimited amount of funds to dump into this project if in fact I do destroy something while retrofitting. I plan on spending a little extra on a decent scope, and I don’t want to cut into that budget.

Con: Price after everything is done will be higher due to extra parts needed for p-grip.

Con: Hi-cap mags not easy to come by. They exist but I can’t go to the gun store and pick up a few extra on my way to the range.

Well there it is. Ammo cost isn’t a big issue to me. Milsurp on all three calibers are relatively inexpensive. If the Saiga wasnt so hard to pistol grip, I'd have one right now. Although you could say "just buy an AK." Well where's the fun in that? I enjoy working on anything. Be it my car, or my computer. Or in this case, my rifle. It's just that I don’t want to end up breaking something and kill my budget. Also, If the SKS were available in .308 I'd have one of those right now. I just feel the NATO carts will better suit my med range plinking needs.

Right now I’m leaning toward the SKS sporter. Because of cost and ease of tinkering. Maybe I'll just deal with the 7.62x39 until I can afford my FAL. :big grin:

I know there are people in here far more versed in these types of things, so thanks for reading and helping me decide :cool:

Oh here are some example pics of what I would be doing.

Drag stock on Saiga:

[​IMG]

Drag stock on SKS:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2004
  2. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

the drag stock on the sks is bad ass, and most sks's are hella fun and some are very accurate, the saiga looks ok but you're right with the fal, so sks, its cheap, fun, and the drag stock is 45 bucks at any gunshow

3. Welsh0913

Welsh0913 OT Supporter

Not to mention that 7.62x39 ammo is also cheaper.

4. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

If you end up with an SKS, don't buy an ATI (the most common) Dragunov stock. They suck. Buy a Choate dragunov, they're 10 times better than the shitty ATI stocks. For the most part, ATI makes garbage.

5. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

i like saiga better..

6. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Yeah, I planned on a Choate. I saw both at the last gunshow I went to, and the Choate looks like a better build.

I thought about them. But the $300 CETME's built on the Century recievers have to be headspaced, and checked for other misc. crap. In short, I dont feel that they are as reliable, especially for someone like me that doenst have an great deal of knowledge on gunsmithing. They are tempting though.

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

If you want an SKS that takes AK mags, you will need to find a SKS-D, otherwise they won't work reliably. They are pretty hard to come by to.

8. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I'd just keep saving for the FAL :o

9. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Well, I kinda have the bug now. :o

Patience isnt my best virtue. I think i'm going to get the SKS. My main concern was the cartridge, but I'll have a .308 when I get my FAL. So I might as well get a 7.62x39 to add diversity to my collection. The problem now is, that after looking at sooo many SKS's, I want two. I would like to have one all original, and keep it for a long time, as well as my budget (ha) sniper rifle.

Thanks for responding. :wiggle: