Skipping breakfast an effective way of dieting?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Fushk14, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fushk14

Fushk14 Guest

I know you're not supposed to miss a meal, my roommate is insisting on skipping meals. She doesnt' understand that missing a meal is only going to have negative results in the long run.

I just want to hear it from the horses mouths and what I can tell her to help her understand this is not good. I've even tried to make more oats for us in the morning and she just said "oh I'm running late for work" and wouldn't eat it. I'd buy more yogurt and fruits thinking she'd eat them but she doesn't. I bought more OJ too, told her to drink it, just to have SOMETHING before noon.

I'm worried because all she does is drink alcohol and sit in her room. I'm the only one that cooks and I'm cooking for two saying she can have some but she wont. So I'm running out of ideas here :sad2:

2. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Slows down your metabolism.

3. TylerTX

TylerTX :noes:

better for the metabolism and weight loss if you eat something healthy for breakfast even if its a little.

4. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

If your body doesn't get enough food, it will start to save (store) everything it can. When you don't eat your metabolism slows down as a way to conserve energy.

5. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

no, not eating after like 4pm would be better.

6. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Wrong again, your metabolism will still slow down and the same thing will happen. Spreading out your calories better throughout the day FTW. Just tell her to eat less during the day, eat something in the morning and not to snack (or go over calories) at night. Alcohol has 7calories/gram btw.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Skipping a meal like breakfast is one of the oldest weightloss myth's around, it's totally absolutely flat out untrue and will backfire. You won't lose any weight by skipping a meal, you'll just fuck up your metabolism and as a result gain weight.

8. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

yeah skipping breakfast and drinking booze as a diet?

sounds like you won't be able to convince your roomate on your own. maybe you should get some fitness/nutrion magazines and books and have them all over the house so she can become better informed.

9. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

I guess i disagree with most of you guys. I think this metabolic slowdown thing is greatly overblown - studies have shown that the maximum change in metabolism due to diet is somewhere around 20%, and this is when the body is in a severe calorie deficit.

The reason breakfast is important is because, for most people, eating a good healthy breakfast makes people less likely to overeat during the rest of the day. However, if a person normally ate a diet of 500 cals breakfast, 1000 lunch, and 1000 dinner, and then decided to skip breakfast and ate exactly the same otherwise, they would lose weight.

10. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

i think things like this have a negligible effect on the average overweight person trying to drop weight. Whatever gets someone like this to eat less calories is what is going to work for them.

For a bodybuilder, someone trying to get < 10%, etc... then these smaller details come into play.

11. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I say it is more for anticatabolic effects. Ideally you would have a constant amount of free amino acids, but it just isn't feasible. This is why it is important to eat both before you go to bed and right after you wake up. Ideally each meal should have the same amount of protein and calories with possibly a higher amount of carbs preworkout and slightly higher protein post workout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.