size question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bboymouse, Jul 2, 2003.

1. bboymouse

bboymouse hip hop head

ok my computer has been acting a little weird lately and ive been thinking of reformatting for a while....but until i do, i was planning on just deleting useless shit and see if it gets any better....something i just noticed however is the size of files

for one folder under properties it says Size: 306 KB (313,396 bytes)
    then it says Size on Disk: 3.03 MB (3,178,496 bytes)

why such a big difference and what exactly is the difference between size and size on disk? and is this normal to have such a large discrepancy between the two?

thanks

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

hard drive space is not allocated byte by byte. it's allocated in chunks.. for example 512 byte chunks. this means that if you make a text file and put one character in it, the "Size" is 1 byte, but the "Size on disk" is 512bytes. This is a 1:512 ratio.

each file can potentially waste 511 bytes of space. your folder is probably filled with a crapload of small files. it is possible...

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

just did a test on my drive. a one byte file uses 4096 bytes of disk. so i guess it's worse than i said.. tho each drive is different.

4. bboymouse

bboymouse hip hop head

ok thanks......that sounds right because the folders filled with bigger files are pretty much close and the folders with small files are pretty far apart

5. bboymouse

bboymouse hip hop head

also, someone in offtopic told me to:

1: Scan for *.tmp and delete them. There may be a lot in your AIM directory. A LOT.
    2: go into c:\windows\prefetch and delete *.*

is it safe to delete tmp files? there is a shitload in my AIM file, what do they do

also, is it safe to delete the files in my prefetch diretory? what do they do? thanks again

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you are using FAT32, you will waste more space as your HD grows, with NTFS, you're cluster size is fixed.

As for tmp files, I can't think of any program that requires tmp files - I think most programmers have steered away from using those files since they have traditionally been exactl that - temp files.

7. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I always delete temp files - if one of them is in use then you wont be able to delete it anyway

8. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

Windows 9x/ME:
    ===========================
    Start->Run:
    command /c del %temp% /f /s /q

Windows 2K/XP
    ===========================
    Start->Run
    cmd /c del %temp% /f /s /q