Size of the LS1?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Biomechanoid, May 19, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

in refference to how much space an LS1 will take up in an engine bay, what's the size difference between an LS1, the standard chevy 350, and a 454BBC?

2. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

What car are you planning on putting these potential motors into? / BBC's are big motors, and by standard 350 do you mean before computers and AIR management?

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

it's going into a fiero, and the 350 I'm reffering to is with computer and all the electronic extras.

there are conversion kits for the 454 to fit on the transmission, but every application of those I've heard of people having to cut parts of the engine bay to make it fit. the 350 conversion kits have no need to cut the engine bay. I'm curious as to where the LS1 fits inbetween that size range, as if I do have to cut the bay, I'd rather go with the 454 because it'll be cheaper on my end for similar HP

4. Josey

Josey Guest

LS1 is a Gen IV Smallblock. All Aluminum block, heads. Hyperutectic Pistons, Nothing special about the Rods.

it's 346.7CID, rated @ 305hp, but actually makes about 340hp stock. 6spd manual, 4spd 4L60E auto, 2:73 and 3:23 gears for the Auto, 3:42's for the Manual in Chevy's pitifully paperlike 7.5" rear end.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 99' Formula to give you an Idea of the size of the motor in the engine bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

thanks for the pics and info. the engine bay looks like you have some room, but in the car it's going into it's going to have to be mounted horozontally (90 degrees from how it's mounted in your car). what's the length, width, and height of the block? like if you had to fit it in a cardboard box, what would be the smallest sized box it could fit in? I think that most of the fiero 350 swaps are done with the 3rd gen small blocks.

6. Josey

Josey Guest

it's the same basic size as the older 350 smallblocks...their overall package did not change as far as hieght, length, width. and sorry...those are the Gen III the Gen IV's are the LS2's that are coming out in the new C6's.

7. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

i thought it was a bit wider and a tad bit less tall due to the 6 bolt mains etc etc etc.

8. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

from seeing some of the 350 swaps in fieros there was some room on the sides of the engine so as long is it's not 8 inches wider then it should be okay (from what I can tell) and if it's shorter then that's a plus :) thanks for all the info.

9. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

based on the fact that people have started swapping them into older camaros more often lately, i would have to say they don't seem to be that much wider, if at all. i haven't heard of having to cut the shock towers or anything of that nature.