GUN Six-Shooter's: Cowboy Gun Advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Surefire, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Surefire

Surefire OT Supporter

I'm looking to get a reproduction. However, there is nowhere near me where I can actually put my hands on one of these, much less shoot it. So I'm hoping a few people here have hands-on experience they can share.

I have a few basic questions: does anyone have a bisley/birdshead handled shooter? Do you like it?

Right now, I'm looking at 1873 Cattleman's and open-top conversions: anyone know of performance differences between the two? Right now, I'm thinking the pro's of the open-top are that you can swap cylinders to reload. How reliable are they really though, in comparison to the 1873 reproductions?

Lastly, I have a very specific question. Has anyone had a chance to try out an 1875 Remmington Outlaw? Did you like it? Have you handled other reproductions, and can you tell me how they compare?

Thanks in advance . . .

2. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

I don't know enough about Cowboy guns to give any educated advice, but I personally have always wanted a Colt Single-Action Army clone.

3. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

The only single actions I've had any experience with are the ruger vaquero and blackhawk. Both are really nice. My fiance's mom and dad shoot cowboy action.

4. Surefire

Surefire OT Supporter

I think anyone who has ever fired a gun enough times secretly desires one of these things.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I just bought a Uberti 1873 Cattleman. 5 1/2" barrel, case-hardened. It shoots great for me, and it's tons of fun. Plus, they are rather cheap. The only downside is the lack of any real appreciable safety, and the design is not as strong as newer ones. READ: No +P Corbon ammo!!!

I got mine for $329 lightly used (cylinder has the mark around it, but I don't think it ever had more than a few through it).