LGBT Situations where you must go back in the closet

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Taylor, May 4, 2004.

1. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Well... I'm approaching the end of the school year, which means... I am going from my environment of being completely out to everyone I am in daily contact with to being out to only about half of the people I will see daily. I can't say I'm looking forward to it. :hs:

Anyone else have experiences like this? I'm not sure I feel like coming out to my family yet (I have a huge, close, family and it's intimidating) and really don't want to at work yet.

2. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I only recently came out to (some of...) my family, so I can relate. I sorta BUSRST onto the scene and dominated....:rofl: I guess I liked straddling that fence of outness...

3. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

4. CoCo

Also, I always tone down the queer when in meetings/ negotiating contracts/ talking with a new business client. I never know where the persons head is, and I'd rather not have my work negatively affected in such a way.

One scary time in a meeting, I was doing a presentation of a join ad campaign with another company--a very good ad, really--and in the end one of the three resps for the other company (a woman) all of a suddenly asked me if I was gay. Like, still in the meeting. You know how you ask if anyone has any questions?? Yea, well I didn't expect, "I have one. Are you gay?" I was blown away on the inside, but the outside remained cool, collected, and professional as I responded, "Although I have no idea how my being queer has anything to do with either this ad, or your business, yes. Now, if that's all of the questions at this time...."

I heard that she got a written reprimand in her file.

5. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

My GF may be getting a job with me in 2 months... some of my co-workers know about my orientation, and if I were to publicly know that the person I was dating was working.... rumours get around FAST at my work.

6. CoCo

7. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

:werd:

This year has been fun cause I've been pretty much completely out to everyone here. Still haven't told old friends/teammates from highschool though so seeing this summer is gonna be kinda weird. I dunno if I'm ready for that yet :o.

8. CoCo

good luck!