GUN situation and a question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Formula-95, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Formula-95

Formula-95 2:32 PM 5-13-09 Never Forget, Hamburglar OT Supporter

I'm not normally a paranoid person but today i was woken up by the doorbell. I'm the only one home, and my room's window is right at the entrance of the house, so i can look out and see who's there. So i look out and its someone i've never seen before, thuggish looking, so i think, ok...they're trying to sell something. But nothing in his hands. Then he just starts walking away right into the middle of the street and walks down the street the whole time looking at the other homes around me. so that gets me a little paranoid and i do what i probably should have done a while ago and load a gun with self defense rounds and put it in my nightstand.

now for the questions.
    1. am i being paranoid, or am i justifiably protecting my home?
    2. do the other gun owners on here keep a loaded weapon in their homes?
    3. if so, where do you keep yours?

sorry for long thread.
    to make up for it, here are pics of the two guns i've loaded.
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

didnt load this one, but i figured id show it off anyways.
    [​IMG]

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

but loaded means they're so dangerous

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like a good call to me.

All of my handguns are loaded and chambered but I only keep the days carry gun outside of the safe. Also have a couple guns out of the safe cause theres no room, of those WASR2 has a loaded mag in it and the mossy is loaded. WASR is next to my desk, mossy is under the bed, and my carry gun is usually either on me or on the desk.

4. Formula-95

thanks squid. makes me feel less like a nerdy weirdo.
    i have a shotgun too, but its not a tacti-cool shotty, and no rounds right now

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

an empty gun, is a useless gun. It's not paranoid, it's prepared. You don't put your seatbelts on expecting to get in a crash do you?

My side of the bed:
    [​IMG]
    My wifes:
    [​IMG]

And for those curious, NO, in a "bump in the night" scenario. I do NOT anticipate clearing my house. I'd suggest huddling down, calling the cops and letting them come to you. Especially if you are not trained in "clearing" a house. I do, and have training in that, and I still would not. there's nothing beyond whats on my bed worth the legal ramifications and risk.

Let you tax dollars do that for you. Less headaches. They are welcome to steal and take anything in my house, but once you come through my bedroom door, kiss your ass good bye.

6. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I keep my AR, Glock 19, and Sig P220 loaded at all times.

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

shoulda fired a few off at him through the window

8. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I'm looking for a secure, yet quickly accessible way to store a night stand gun by my bed.. We occasionally have kids over, so it MUST be secured at all times.

Any ideas? One of those $300 biometrics safes look nice.. but the price is pretty steep. :hsd:

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

oh yeah

i keep the 870, 1911 & g34 loaded :o

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can find the little gun lockboxes for nightstands with the keypads for around $100.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, unless you go with the biometrics, best way is to tactfully keep the firearm hidden or keep the kids out of your room and remember to always lock your room. the key to a good homedefensive gun is accessibility.

12. Formula-95

does anyone keep a weapon throughout the house? like, a gun in every room?

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

No, I just keep one handy in the bedroom and my CCW on me for everywhere else.

There's a difference between baseless, irrational fear (paranoia) and sensible suspicion and reasonable precautions. (Having a guy you don't know knock on your door and then walk away, casing houses.)

Trust your gut, most people are so concerned with being sensitive to others, and avoiding the risk of offending someone that they ignore a very real and natural intuition about another's intentions.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I keep my carry gun loaded since I always have it and I'm debating with the gf about keeping the shotty loaded and out of the locked room. Let me AB13 do not go clearing the house, call the police, for this reason (maybe even more so than a gun) it is important to have a phone by your bed to call the cops. Don't assume you can go to the other room to get one, on the same issue a cell phone is better no way anyone can cut the line first.

In a situation where your house is broken into it is important to have some idea of a plan. Lets say its like your situation its at night or you are still asleep, you here the glass break. You call the cops, its up to you if you wish to tell them you have a gun and fear for the safety of your family. The hunkering down part is important. Where are you going to hunker down? And where is the point where you shoot, for AB13 it was the door to the bedroom, but what if there is more than one way into the bedroom or you have multiple bedrooms/people to protect. For example in a ranch style house you may decide that you are going to use the doorway at the end of the hall that all the bedrooms are on. Or maybe its a 2 story house with one staircase, which is my situation (and there are two flights of stairs facing 180 degrees from each other with a landing in-between them) I have chosen that is glass breaks I grab the gun get to the top of the stairs and wait while the GF dials 911. Maybe there isn't one bottle neck and you have to move people around to be secure. Its always good to have a plan even if you don't need it.

15. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

loaded 1911 in the nightstand out of sight, mossy 500 full tube, empty chamber safety on behind the bedroom door. If all else fails, above my fireplace in the living room is my Mitchell's Mauser with a mounted bayonet.

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Don't keep anything loaded, but my AK is the easiest to access in my cabinet (turn the key I keep in the lock and pull, then grab AK), and the mags are on top :dunno:

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

my 870 has a full tube, hammer down, safety on, chamber empty. sig p226r has a full mag in, chamber empty.

both are in my cabinet :dunno:

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've been in this situation before, which is why i now suggest always try, if you can and don't have to protect others, to stay in you room and call for help. I had my house broken into while I was home, and they were in my house and I didn't even know it. It was a neighbor that actually alerted me, and knocked on my door. She informed me someone had tried getting into her house, and when she chased them out, they came into my house. When I turned around, they were standing behind me. As tough as I thought I was, I freaked out. Luckily she had already called the cops, and they got there in time. The assailants were high, and had weapons. My shot gun that I stored in my gun safe at the time, was absolutely useless locked up and unloaded.

In my current situation now, we all sleep in my room, wife, kid, etc. My wife would go to the bathroom with the shotty and lock her self up in our walk in closet, that also has a window if all else fails. While calling for help on her cellular. That shotty holds 7 and has 6 more on the stock, I also have my .38 in one of our safes in the closet.

I would seek cover behind the bed, in prone position and would position the flashlight on the nightstand away from me and pointed at the door with the lights out. In the self defense classes I took, they advocated and taught us the use of a handheld flashlight, and one thing they suggested was to keep it away from you if you can when clearing a house because if the assailant was armed, and in the dark, they would always shoot towards the light. So that's why when I have to clear a room, I'd hold the light with my arms extended slightly to my side. But in this situation, i would position it on the nightstand to blind them, and to maximize my cover.

I train to use cover, so that's what I use. I'm not going to be a hero. Everything I own is replaceable and not worth shooting/getting killed over.

19. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:bigthumb: good plan, I only chose the top of the stairs upstairs there are two bedrooms that are connected by a bathroom. So the bedroom me and my GF use as a bedroom has a door into the hall, with a door next to in into a storage room accessible by both the hall and the bedroom as well as the door into the shared bathroom. Next to the bathroom door in the closet. So I decided 3 doors ways to cover was just too many. Thus its 7 steps from my side of the bed to the top of the stairs and go prove with the 357.

20. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Good idea IMO.

My G19 is ALWAYS loaded. If I'm not carrying it, it's either on my nightstand while sleeping or the coffee table while watching TV. Almost always within arms reach.

21. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Liberals... I'm sorry, gun-grabbing extreme LEFT liberals... would say you're paranoid and need therapy.
    I say that's perfectly normal. And luckily he just walked away and you didn't have to use any force.

What worries me a little about this is that he did just walk away, all the while scoping out other houses in the neighborhood along the way.
    Keep your eye out, he maybe be back. And he probably won't be alone.
    Of course, then again, who really knows for sure.

22. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

The only concern I would have, is my kids' room right next door.
    I'd have my wife huddle on the opposite side of the bed to the door, hand her a handgun, have HER call the cops, and I'd be the one to storm the kids' room.
    I don't have a large apartment though, so clearing it wouldn't be difficult. The new apartment we're moving into is a different story though.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I keep my glock with a full mag inside. I don't keep it chambered, but 1/2 second is all it takes to chamber a round. If anything, the sound of racking the slide is an additional deterent, imo. My shotty is unloaded now that I got my glock, but in the past I've left the tube filled with slugs. Racking that will DEFINITELY scare someone away, lol.

24. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Mossberg 500 cruiser ready on my side of the bed and my Glock on the nightstand. The wifes Model 637 on her side of the bed. My AR with 2 full mags in the walk-in closet.

In a situation, the wife would grab her gun and lock herself in the closet and call it in. I would lock the bedroom door and position myself on the landing at the top of the stairs and hold down the fort until backup arrives.

25. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

At night my carry 1911 is on the nightstand and Mossy 500 (full tube of 00 buck, empty chamber, safety off) is under the bed. My second-biggest concern in a HD situation though is overpenetration due to the fact that I live in an apartment complex and therefore I'm basically surrounded by other people. Obviously my biggest concern would be stopping the BG.