WEB SITE CHECK PLEASE

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jibble, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Jibble

Jibble New Member

Here is a new site I built. Give it a look and by all means offer up any comments or suggestions.

HOPE YOU LIKE IT!

www.overkillproductions.com

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Well, the site is overkill.

I should say that I loathe flash, with that said, I think isn't structured well.

the bio page doesn't scroll. the menu system on the "work" page is so faint it appears he only has the initial trailer.

It suffers from the typical problem of flash sites. Nobody will be able to link to actual content, usability is terrible, accessibility is terrible.

I can appreciate the artistic ability it shows, but I don't think it has any place as an effective tool for reaching people.

3. Jibble

Jibble New Member

Thanks for the comments Vailripper...

I think your missing a few key points though...

1. bio page isn't supposed to scroll. It's only the 5 images
    2. the menu is faint because you need a new monitor.
    3. "Nobody will be able to link to actual content"...and they aren't really supposed to. It would be nice, but a site like this is meant to be SENT to people directly (i.e. portfolio) and not necessarily a "google" friendly piece, or referral based.
    4. Keep in mind that this companies clientèle, and/or the viewers of this site, for the most part are going to be production oriented people so their monitors are going to be nicer, bigger and better resolutions, and their computers are going to be faster than your general publics(>$10k machines).

I appreciate the comments though, and for the most part i would agree with you, but i think in this case you didn't consider the variables involved.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

It's a site about a movie. You're allowed to get away with overkill sites like that in the entertainment industry. Most sites based off movies in the entertainment industry are like this.

I think it's a good site for it's geared audience.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

The only thing I really don't like is the fact that I can't rewind on the short.

6. nubian

nubian Active Member

i love flash.
    i'm now getting involved with as 3.0 right now.
    it's a whole new ball game.
    no more accessing vars on _root :noes:

- i would add a drop shadow to your flv
    - i would feather out the sharp edges of your buttons on the our works section
    - under stills, there should be no reason to state that they're stills on all of your rollover images
    - a mute sound button should always be present

7. pkr

pkr Guest

That's pretty ill. Do you do flash work for others? Specifically a custom flv player?

8. nubian

nubian Active Member

also scroll for your stills, if you move the mouse all the way to the right, it over scrolls.
    - i cannot pause or stop the flv being played. i'm being force to pay....i mean force to view the flv content

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

The lack of scrolling screws me on being able to actually see/use the main display content....

Cannot submit, etc v
    [​IMG]

Cannot read all of what is there v
    [​IMG]

These problems are fixed if I go full screen, but I never browse the web that way. I think I use a fair browser size. My screen resolution is 1680x1050 and the browser takes up just over 1/2 the screen width wise and 2/3 height wise.

Personally, I would make it so no text is allowed to go underneath the "Overkill Productions" logo and allow scrolling. Otherwise, I would never visit the site again.

OT: Very nice looking graphics/flash work. Site looks amazing... just can't see it all.

10. Jibble

Jibble New Member

for some reason the "STEEL SHORT" won't pause for a bit. I think it's because its such a huge file to load.

-noted:
    mute button
    drop shadow on flv (i would assume only in the "our work" section)
    stills rollover (good point)

im not sure what you mean with the feathering of the sharp edges? can you explain? i don't see what your talking about

11. Jibble

Jibble New Member

addressing this issue...

Thanks for all the great replies btw :wavey:

12. nubian

nubian Active Member

let me rephrase that.

the controls don't work for the steel short to be exact.

when you mouse over the steel trailer and short buttons, the edges are too sharp. i would feather them so it's some-what consistent with the trouble everyday button mouse over effect

13. Jibble

Jibble New Member

roger that.

14. i agree it's overkill for a flash site, but for something such as a production company that does some pretty good editing work, i think it's just fine.

i think your horizontal scrollbar in the trailers are one of the smoothest i've seen. what values are you using for that?

15. Jibble

Jibble New Member

issa ancient ajapanese secaret danialson....

pm'd a little hint boogie

16. nubian

nubian Active Member

looks like a tween class with a listener object to adjust itself based on screen width....amirite???

17. yeah you could set the stage.stageWidth to the window width and same goes for any inner movieclips. But the event for mouseover using the mouseX was pretty smooth.

18. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

It fits its demographic very well. I had the same issue with text being blocked, so that's my only complaint.