Sirius Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by poz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. poz

poz New Member

I'm looking to get satellite radio for my 01 jetta :)o), and I'm not sure exactly what I have to purchase. I obviously know that I need the radio itself along with a subscription but other than that, I'm clueless. I have the stock radio and it has a tape player in it. I want the best quality I can get without having to replace the headunit. Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

2. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

fm direct adapter, and antenna adaptors

30 bucks at best buy
    25 in adaptors

3. poz

poz New Member

will the quality be halfway decent? :o

4. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

I've read that siruis is the equivalent of 64 kbps

5. poz

poz New Member

I've read that you get 64kbps online when you stream but it sounds really good in cars. You apparently have to pay 3 dollars extra month to get 128kbps online, which I won't do because I won't be listening it to much online. ;)

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

cheapest option for decent quality is to get a tape adapter with a headphone jack and plug it into the radio...ugly, but it will work for cheap

a better option would be to get an adapter that will work with the headunit. i have an 05 scion tc and i about $60 for an adapter (auxillary input convertor) that basically tricks the stock cd player into thinking that it has a cd changer attached, but instead allows me to switch to the cd changer and use it as an input. i have my sirius sportster 2 hooked up to it. i also have the headphone jack split, so that i can plug it into my ipod. this option gives you the best possible sound.

check this out:
    http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pievwaux.html

read everything though, because if you have a cd player - it will require a special kit. i bought mine from this company and called first, they were pretty knowledgable

7. poz

poz New Member

yeah, i'd be getting it for music for the most part, but i'd still listen to comedy and other shit on there as well for sure. i dont have a cd player in my car and i think that it'd a much better investment to go with sirius because of the huge amount of different music and shit on there. i also don't really want to replace the headunit as i said before because i like the stock one. :)

btw, thanks dorkultra, ill check into that.

8. benk016

benk016 O&A Crew

just so you know, xm and sirius have the same music channels now, so the only difference is the talk and sports.

9. poz

poz New Member

yeah i know. thanks :)

10. poz

poz New Member

I got the radio tonight and it's getting installed on Saturday. I ended up going with the fm modulator because I think the quality should be fine. I'm pretty excited to get rid of the shitty radio and listen to commercial free music.

11. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

the fm direct modulator is the ONLY way to go if you have a factory radio w/o a aux connection

12. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

ever since the merger of XM and Sirius the sound quality of the streams sound like shit through my radio in my car now. :(

13. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i noticed xm is starting sound poor in quality... but still not as bad as sirius.

14. benk016

benk016 O&A Crew

XM's sound quality has went down more and more over the years. I didn't really notice a drop when they merged channels. But I'm getting Sirius in my new fusion, and I can definitely tell a huge quality difference there. You can hear all the garble in the background much easier.