Siren: Blood Curse PS3

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by phish, Dec 7, 2009.

1. phish

phish hockey crew

Did anyone grab this off PSN? How is it? Crappy? Good? Fun? Scary?

:hs:

2. eXtraVert3d

eXtraVert3d Pop this, bitch!

This game is a mix of ideas that didn't all work well. First off - is it scary? Hell yeah, but for a variety of reasons. First off the controlls are limited, making it a whole lot more tense as you slowly fumble through a dark environment. The combat can be clunky, but again this only really adds to the pressure. Think original Silent Hill, as this game comes closer to providing that 'fight or flight' mentality than any other recent suvival horror.

There are some neat visual effects that play the part of SH's radio static which is neat, but there's also a 'baddie vision' mechanic that felt cheap and took me out of the moment. Fortunately you can disable it.

The story is simple, though continuity between chapters is questionable. You are not held to any one progression, and as a result I often jumped between chapters if I got bored of playing one.

Overall not a bad game, though I found the later chapters to be the ones most worth playing. Creepy enemies, great sound, nice mix of playstyles - from sneaking to all out carnage - make this a game worth trying, at least for fans of the genre.

7/10

3. phish

phish hockey crew

I noticed in the demo that the controls were a bit stiff and clunky as you mentioned. The radio static I found a bit too annoying because of how much they impair your on-screen vision.

The overall ambiance was very well done though. The eerie music and sound make it that much more intense in close quarter encounters.

I loved Silent Hill... and I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil (although the latter versions focus more on action combat). I'm contemplating on shelling out the $40 in order to get this. I might just rent this instead.

4. W3rd

W3rd New Member

It's a stealth game at it's core