A&P sippy straws

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mike Panic, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

can't claim this as an original idea, i stole it from pop photography :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

full sized images can be seen here - http://www.mikepanic.com/photos/album01

the setup... i filled a short tumbler glass w/ the straws and put it on my window sill. setup tripod next to sill, w/ front 2 legs lower then the rear one leg so it would tilt forward and allow me to get closer w/ my 50mm f/1.8 and a 4x closeup filter

shot on self timer cause im too poor to buy a cable release right now

now, it was pretty cloudy when i did this, no flash obviously, naturual light, awb on the 10d...

the second shot i figured out i should prob use my 28" (i think) silver/gold reflector to reflect light coming in the window back to the straws not diggin the dof that much

last shot was @ f/22 and the sun peaked out a bit so i had more light to reflect onto the straws... and thus its the one im most pleased with at this point

im hoping to do these again on a sunny day, i really dont wanna use artificial light if i dont have to

2. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Sunlight would do wonders. I would shoot this outside on a sunny day. Maybe black and white..

3. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

What was your shutter speed on those shots?

I have that issue of pop photo with the shot of the straws you're referring to. It's a very eye-catching shot.

4. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

dont recall the shutter speed, id have to check the exif header... on the f/22 shot i know it was close to 2 seconds