MIL Single Soldier...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by origin unknown, Jan 22, 2009.

1. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

You guys are probably tired of my threads by now and I might seem like that disgruntled E-4 (which I am but not the shitbag version) yet I have another matter I'd like to discuss.

BAS... I filled out a 4187 to get my BAS paid to me (only to be told no by the CSM) since my DFAC is close and functional... but still very poorly run by contractors. eg. This morning I waited 10 minutes for some cottage cheese (after 15 minutes for eggs, rice, and turkey sausage) only to tell me they are out of it... It's frustrating.

Anyhow, I am pretty 5-food group savvy and know that the majority of what they are serve is sodium laced crap boiled in industrial size bags that hardly qualifies as nutrition in comparison to what seems like the 5-star treatment we had at our Battalion FOB in Iraq.

The reason being as explained by my 1SG for not getting BAS, is that if I do it then every soldier will do it and then there will be soldiers with no money and then soldiers won't have meal cards and then soldiers will be malnourished and then everyone will have to have BAS...???

Does anyone know how I won't seem like some degenerate E-4 thats trying to change 'the big army' but still trying to get himself squared away by getting his own BAS. I have been in 3 1/2 years, 2 deployments and I still CAN'T move off post either. I just am tired of being fucked in the ass lol.

And by the way I finally got my mail today after 2 weeks...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Julius

Julius Guest

In for an answer, I guess I'm not the only one. I want to get rid of my meal deduction as well. The bullshit excuse I've been fed is that "I have to prove that the DFAC near me in inaccessible or unsatisfactory" :ugh:

I can't believe we get fed this bullshit here when the shit downrange was 30x more nutritious.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Join the AF?? Single E3's get to move off base.

4. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

Go to the E-5 board?!?

5. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

Shit, I didn't know this... looks like I'm gonna have to get married before I enlist :wtc:

6. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

I never understood why they reward guys for getting married, its causes SOOO many more problems than benefits. If anything they should pay bonuses for single servicemembers.

7. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Not every base does that. Especially Kadena.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

That has more to do with it being overseas though than anything. I think most overseas bases wouldn't allow E3's to live off base (with BAH).

9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I guess i am lucky ( or unlucky) that I have an old lady to get married to

10. thekinggovernor

that is probably true, but they do make a lot more than single servicemembers. If the pay rate was more equitable it would be interesting to see what the numbers would look like.

11. Abomb

Abomb New Member

how much more?

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

few hundred a month usually unless you're deployed then add in family separation allowance ($150/mo?)

13. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

honestly no other job pays you more to have a family. other spouse should be working or you need to adjust your lifestyle if you cant live off the same pay as a single military member as a married one.

been rumored for awhile they are going to do away with the two tiers of BAH and single BAH will just jump up to the w/ dependents level. family separation allowance is fucking retarded. you don't think single people miss being back where their home is?

14. thekinggovernor

several hundred a month and you get to live off base

15. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

:werd:

I tried to get family-sep. They told me that a bottle of hand lotion doesn't count :wtc:

16. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I bet it's not. Gotta figure, married with kids especially, you gotta worry about food on the table for not just you, you gotta worry about health benefits for your family. A single guy doesn't have to worry about jack shit. No one is there to keep them in one place, and no one is depending on you for support.

17. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

:coolugh:

Forgot what retention means? Lemme rephrase what he wrote.. "I bet married servicemen are much more likely to reenlist than single servicemembers."

18. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

:uh:

You're right, I misread. Long fucking day.