WEB single signon for multiple services

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dawgboye, Dec 25, 2007.

1. dawgboye

dawgboye I'm a businessman who's commodity happens to be co

Hey guys,
    I've been putting together a website for a family project (genealogy) and it, at this point, is using three seperate applications. Coppermine for a gallery, SMF for forums and WP for a blog. What I wanted to figure out is how I can get them to pick one username/password and log in on a main page, and that would log them in to ALL of the applications.

Ideas?

2. Zac

Zac New Member

damn that doesn't sound like fun at all....

figure out how all accts are created and then in the acct creation part of the code for each make it do the other 2 as well?

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

But that still doesn't solve his problem, they'd still have to login to each application. A better approach would probably be to figure out how the users are authenticated, pick a users table from one of the applications to use, and modify the other 2 to use the same authentication.

Of course...that sounds like a pretty simple solution assuming they all use something like session variables for login. I was looking at phpbb earlier for a guy trying to do something similar, they set a cookie of a random string when u log in, then send that cookie along with user id, etc to a sessions table in the database. Not to mention they've got all different kinds of login options (like autologin?), admin options, maybe different password encryptions. Never heard of the other 2, but I guarantee you wordpress is going to be like that too. You know how those big open source projects like to get all fancy with their shit :)

Honestly, probably not worth the time and effort unless it's something commercial.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007