Since when could you...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CodeX, Jan 18, 2009.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

play a video as its downloading? I figured some sort of file access violation would result from this... guess not.

[​IMG]

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

nevermind what the video is... :coolugh:

3. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

damn son, your d/l is slow as fuck

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

that is obviously limited by the server its hosted on, http direct download from a youtube style site :rolleyes:

5. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

Media Player classic can play files that are still downloading. :mamoru:

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

most codecs will complain if the entire file isnt downloaded, torrent clients often allow you to download the end of the file quickly to overcome this. flvs are designed to be streamed i guess, so that might help

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

flash files are made to be streamed. shouldn't you know that? you act like you know everything else.

8. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

:rofl:

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

:eek3:

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You act like the fact that it is a flash file is important when in fact has nothing to do with this or my reason to think this wouldn't be possible... which was file access violation due to the fact that only one thread can have read/write access to a file at a time :rolleyes:

This works for all media in firefox. I was not talking about streaming I was talking about the fact that I would have assumed the file would be locked because firefox would have write access, two programs cannot have a file stream open at the same time. Apparently firefox caches a certain amount of data, opens the file and writes to it all at once, and then closes the file. Because of this there is not necessarily contention between firefox and another application, unless they happen to open the file at the same time, which could still happen and I have confirmed does still happen if you attempt to watch it for a long period of time while its downloading. Either firefox or your player will complain that it cannot access the file.

You try awfully hard to make me look bad, yet you simply were too uneducated about this to even understand why I didn't think this would work.

Suck his cock why don't you. What he said was stupid and shows he doesn't even understand the basic principles of what I was talking about, that being file access restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  11. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

don't get your panties in a bunch

12. White Stormy

I know what you meant. I ignored it to make a joke. You don't need a Masters degree to have tried to open a file while it was being downloaded.

And I don't know why you tried to write an essay in that post. You're the only one reading it.

13. White Stormy

Nothing surprises me about computers anymore, except for how slowly they are improving.

14. deusexaethera

And what are you doing to help?

15. White Stormy

I work 60 hours a week translating old programs in old languages to new ones so that everyone can say "fuck you" to old shit and improve more rapidly.

I worked 15 hours today in COBOL.

16. deusexaethera

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

hmm... i remember playing media as it downloaded quite a while ago. i know it wouldn't work with avi files, but mpg files worked. i think i was able to do it with win98.

18. deusexaethera

I remember the same.

19. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I don't think I had ever even tried before this lol. Typically two applications cannot access the same file at the same time. Even if they read/write in bursts, which appears to be the case here, there is still the possibility for an access violation and error in one of the two applications if they happen to try to read(vlc)/write(ff) more data at the same time.

20. White Stormy

probably won't work with avi files simply because of their reliance on an index/toc

so it might work with .mpg., .wmv. .asf, .flv., .swf, .mp3..

21. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

Awe that's the speed I have at home :(
    Speeds at college are on average 33kbs

22. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

There's nothing wrong with having one process write to a file, while one or more processes concurrently read from it. There's nothing going on that would cause a conflict. It's even possible for two or more process to write to the same file. If you know this is going to happen, you usually make use of some OS locking or semaphore mechanism so you get orderly writes that don't result in jumbled data.

23. CodeX

CodeX Guest

From a theory point of view perhaps, from a pratical point of view if you attempt to programatically open a file that is already open you are going to get an error, I have done it. Tell me what language you can do this in under a typical windows OS and how to go about doing it.

24. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

25. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

If you are denied access to a file that is opened by another process, then that process was given exclusive rights to the file.