MMA Since the Cage sucks dick lately - let's have a real MMA thread

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Gogoplata, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Lettuce Discuss the current landscape of MMA..

Jose Aldo - how fucking good is this guy? How does he do in the UFC at 155?

Ben Henderson vs. Jaime Varner - thoughts?

Jake Shields to the UFC for TUF 12 Coach... Gay?

Little Nog - will be be proven legit or fall victim to the PRIDE over rating system we've used for so long?

Strikeforce - 12 month prediction. Continue putting on shows or fail?

Mir vs. Kongo - will Frank think he is a legit kickboxer and get KD'd or sub that monster with a leglock?

Koschek - is this guy truly the real deal or will he ALWAYS be #2/3 at welterweight..

Anthony Johnhson - over rated. Glad his hype train was derailed. Learn some jiu jitsu Mr. Burnt Skinned Cung Le. You've been submitted by two very average jiu jitsu players

Will Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch or Josh Koschek have any more success in a GSP rematch than the first time around?

BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez - who wins, how and when.

Minowaman vs. Soko - Soko by GNP or Minowa by Leglock?

Tim Sylvia vs. Hong Man Choi on NYE - who wins? I like HMC by KO.

Aoki vs. Kawajiri on NYE?

Masato vs. Souwer - NYE - Masato's "retirement" fight - who do you like?

UFC 106 Fight of the Night - in your opinion..

In December of 2010 - who will be the UFC champions in each weight class?

Copy/paste your questions/answers below..

Attn: Joe_Cool - please note that no where in this entire thread are the names Fedor Emelienenko or Brock Lesnar listed. Please do not ruin/troll this thread with talk about their mythical, hypothetical fight that will never happen. Just leave it alone for one thread.

Go! :hsd:

Edit: More added

Who has the best BJJ in MMA right now?

Who has the best Muay Thai in MMA right now?

What "Ultimate Fighter" veteran has made the most progress, has the most talent and will go the farthest in MMA?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
  2. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Brb, locking this thread because I am a horrible mod and want to keep the cage shit

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

And anyone starts trolling this thread, I will prune your posts

4. RMarks

RMarks New Member

BJ wins by 2nd round stoppage.

5. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

:h5:

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Haven't seen him fight yet. Thanks DirecTV.

See above.

Interesting. Still gets wrecked by GSP.

Little Nog - will be be proven legit or fall victim to the PRIDE over rating system we've used for so long?
    I think he's legit, but 205 in the UFC is so deep he may have some trouble getting to the top. I do think he beats Rashad/Rampage/Forrest/Jardine though.

Depends on Fedor. If he gets beat then they fail. If he keeps winning they keep putting on shows.

Mir vs. Kongo - will Frank think he is a legit kickboxer and get KD'd or sub that monster with a leglock?
    Frank by sub in the first.

Koschek - is this guy truly the real deal or will he ALWAYS be #2/3 at welterweight..
    Always #2 to GSP. Man, I'd hate to be a Welterweight in the UFC right now.

Anthony Johnhson - over rated. Glad his hype train was derailed. Learn some jiu jitsu Mr. Burnt Skinned Cung Le. You've been submitted by two very average jiu jitsu players
    Agreed, though he is still entertaining. Any of the top guys at 170 (GSP, Fitch, Alves) beat him though because they're all so skilled. I think he should go to 185 myself.

Will Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch or Josh Koschek have any more success in a GSP rematch than the first time around?
    Not unless GSP gets caught like he did against Serra, or he decides to fight one handed for entertainment value.

Penn through superior boxing and controlling takedowns.

Minowa. Soko sucks.

I really want to say Sylvia, but I think HMC wins the way Sylvia won his fights.

Aoki

No opinon

Ortiz/Griffin. Runner up Baroni/Sadollah. Had Phil done something beyond the first 180 seconds I'd give it to them.

LW: Penn. He beats Sanchez, winner of the Maynard/Diaz fight, and Guida in the next 12 months.
    WW: GSP. There's nobody to challenge him.
    MW: It's easy to say Anderson, but I think he goes up to 205 and relinquishes his belt. Marquardt.
    LHW: Machida. He wins the rematch with Shogun and KDs Rashad again.
    HW: This is tough. If Lesnar gets healthy, he keeps the belt. If there's an interim title or Lesnar has to retire, I'll say Big Nog.

7. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

he's fucking good. i think he'd be to the UFC LW div as Anderson is to the LHW div

awesome fight. Benderson impressed the fuck out of me against Cowboy. didn't think he'd take it, but i knew that he'd go for broke. Varner takes it though

very gay. however, i am impressed that Shields can be a douche but still have no personality

he was fucking impressive on his feet against a known dangerous striker like Banha, and given his BJJ pedigree, he's a threat already. however, i'm also an eternal skeptic and would like to see him up against somebody like Jardine or Vera just to further establish himself

continue putting on shows.

Mir will get cocky and try to strike, get picked apart and battered, go for a desperation takedown, somehow pull off a sub, and will claim that was his strategy all along

Koscheck will always live under Fitch's shadow, who will always live in GSP's shadow

agreed. he's like Soko where he relies on his athletic ability more than anything else

Kos

BJ by whatever he wants

Soko by GNP

agreed

Crusher by brutal KO :x:

Souwer by decision

haven't seen the prelims, but Forrest/Ortiz IMO

LW - BJ
    WW - GSP
    MW - Marquardt. Silva will get bored and either vacate or will lose a boring decision somehow :o
    LHW - Shogun :x:
    HW - Carwin (interim)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

Jose Aldo @ 155? BJ Penn would kill him.

I think Jamie Varner wins against Bendo. He's way bigger than him and is just gonna take him down and outmuscle him.

Everybody already knows my opinion on Jake Shields vs. GSP on TUF and UFC

Lil' Nog will finally get the recognition he deserves after all these fucking years of living in his brothers shadow. An opponent like Franklin would do wonders for his popularity while delivering another highlight reel KO/TKO
    I think they will fizzle and sizzle and eventually mutate into another Org. that everybody will hype only to be affected by the same fate as all the other Org's who choose to do business with Fedor and M-1

Mir vs. Kongo will be interesting. I do think Mir has improved his striking game by leaps and bounds. I think he can hang with Kongo but Kongo will eventually start getting the better of it and Mir will take him down and Kimura the crap out of his arm.

Koscheck is so back and forth, I really want him to be the #1 guy but i think he'll always fall short of that by one fight. Johnson, while a beast, didn't seem to have the best TD defense and just kinda shut down when the pressure was put on him. A good striker with good TD defense is Koschecks achilles heel so as long as he doesn't face another Alves he might get contender status especially after all the man loving Dana was giving him at the post fight press conference

Anthony Johnson needs to learn Takedown defense and how to keep cool and his head in the game. like i said he just shut down and gave up.

GSP would murder all 3 of those on the same time. None of them have the ability to stop his takedown, none of them can hang with GSP on the feet except maybe Alves. GSP needs to move to 185 and let the 170's get some hype. There should never be a situation where a guy like Dan Hardy gets a shot.

BJ Penn wins by murder. Sanchez is gonna come out all crazy as fuck and is gonna eat about a 1000 jabs before he realizes "fuck, i gotta do something different" and as that thought pops in his head he's gonna have an arm pinned to his body by BJ's leg and an arm across his throat being choked unconscious

I'm actually picking Minowaman by leg lock against Soko. i just can't cheer against that guy and i just can't cheer for Soko.

HMC might win. The key to beating HMC is to take him down. I wanna see Sylvia's big ass attempt a double leg but it won't happen so he'll get TKO'd Mercer style.

I want Kawajiri to win this one. It's gonna be tough but i think kawajiri can put the pressure on Aoki like Mach did and just kinda bully him around. Aoki does real bad against big, aggressive guys who are not afraid of his BJJ and have a strong punch. Kawajiri by TKO.

Masato vs. Souwer - get that K-1 shit outta here it's an mma thread faggot

UFC 106 fight of the night? i only watched a few fights so i can't make an educated assessment.

Champs of '10 - LW - BJ Penn WW-GSP MW - GSP LHW - Machida HW - BJ Penn

9. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

You're a shitty mod and a large part of the reason the cage has slipped in quality.

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I’ve been swinging from his nuts for a while and calling Torres overrated forever. I think people are starting to see it now. Aldo is fucking sick but would get murdered by guys like Tyson, just too big and heavy on top. I’d like to see 145 get added to the UFC and cut 135 from existence.

I think this is proof that the 155 in WEC sucks cocks. Great personalities, but it’s a bunch of guys who would get wrecked by the who’s who of 155. Don’t care about this fight one bit.

The Hardy hate irritates me, he might not be that good, but he wins. Shields will be a much better fight to hype and would offer more as a coach. I’m happy.

Already proven, but curious if he’ll be a contender.

Continue shows without question. Stale fucking shows with the same middleweights and heavyweights.

It’s either guy’s fight, but I think Mir is going to go for a takedown and end up getting his skull cracked on the bottom. I hope….

No threat to GSP, but #2/3 for ever. I’d love to see him vs Shields.

All the potential in the world, it’s up to him if he’ll be a contender.

God No

Awesome match up. Penn better plan on going 100% for 5 rounds. He isnt finishing Diego.

Soko by fighting in Japan

Tim by LnP

Aoki all day

Masato by will

Guess rumble and kos earned it

BJ
    GSP
    Anderson
    Shogun
    Brock

Maia

Anderson, even though he’s been straight boxing lately, he’s one of the few that uses all tools of MT in a fight and is a threat with all.

What "Ultimate Fighter" veteran has made the most progress, has the most talent and will go the farthest in MMA?
    Progress = Florian, talent = Kos, go the furthest likely Diego

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

hes alright. waste of time to go up. we have enough names at 155 and desparately need some kings of 145.

benny by unan dec.

gay. but ill watch.

legit nog.

strikeforce lives.

mir by tko from the mount.

real deal.

werd.

fitch might win a round.

diego. round 4. by death.

:gives:

see above post.

kawajiri.

see reply to soko minowa question

looks good. feels good.
    brb...

Copy/paste your questions/answers below..

Attn: Joe_Cool - please note that no where in this entire thread are the names Fedor Emelienenko or Brock Lesnar listed. Please do not ruin/troll this thread with talk about their mythical, hypothetical fight that will never happen. Just leave it alone for one thread.

12. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

He's good, but I'm thinking BJ has an answer for him

No opinion

Not gay...actually an entertaining idea, too bad for all the other WW's though, not getting much repect

Thinking the over rating system is gonna come into play

Bye, bye SF

Mir by sub

Always gonna be #2/3, but he would fuking stomp Hardy

Agreed

Nope, none of them have an answer, although I think Fitch is the closest

BJ by asswhipping

Do not care

Please let HMC end the fucking dope train that is Sylvia

No care

No care

Ortiz/Griffin, would have even been moreso had Ortiz fought all 3 rounds

Penn
    Gsp
    Anderson
    Hopefully someone other than Machida
    Lesnar

13. RMarks

RMarks New Member

If Lil Nog becomes a contender and Machida holds the belt will they fight? Or are they best friends also?

14. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

As the biggest Penn fan on this forum - I seem to be the ONLY one that is very nervous about this test for BJ..

Hopefully you guys are right and he dominates and I am wrong.

15. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

training partners. Little Nog trains with his bro, anderson, etc.

16. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

why are you nervous? run us by some scenarios where you think Sanchez will beat BJ

17. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Gas tank

18. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

wasn't a problem in the last fight :dunno:

19. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Diego has good hands and works flurries well. He has good takedowns and solid top control. He has shown great ground and pound. He has solid jiu jitsu - he can submit and defend.

Diego is a VERY complete mixed martial artist. Combine that with a solid, Mexican chin and a very good cardio game and you have something that most opponents don't have.

He really has it all. Could he be better in some areas? Of course. But I'm nervous about the flurries, top control, chin and cardio combo.. Penn works fine on his back with a dumb wrestler on top. He gets top position on inferior grapplers.. He lands strikes against inferior boxers..

If you guys think that Diego Sanchez is going to stand on the outside at the end of BJ's jab - you are nuts. He's going to swarm him in and out and work takedowns and ground and pound.. I hope BJ's take down defense is on point. Even if BJ sweeps him - which is likely - Diego has the BEST scrambles in all of MMA..

I could very easily see Diego winning a TKO stoppage from ground and pound or grinding out an exciting decision like his Karo/Diaz fights. I'm not saying that is what's going to happen - but I could easily envision it.

He should NOT be overlooked in this fight. This is the most complete fighter outside of GSP in MMA.

20. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I think he is going to keep it on his feet and out box Diego. Diego's boxing is not that good. BJ should be able to stop his takedowns in the first three rounds. I think Diego's window is rounds 4 and 5. But i dont think he can stop BJ either.

BJ decision 3 rounds to 2

21. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

when was the last time BJ Penn got swarmed? When was the last time BJ Penn got outstruck? Takedowns? are you serious? It's not happening, not from Sanchez. He's got good takedowns but GSP had a tough time in the first few rounds from the clinch and he had 30lbs of muscle on BJ.

22. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Diego definitely does not have the power on the feet to KO or TKO Penn. If Penn can be the first guy to keep a fight with Diego where he wants it and can slow the fight down - he'll dominate on the feet. Slowing the fight down is the problem. Diego has good shots and good takedowns from the clinch. And even if Penn tries to take him down - his scrambles are great.

Penn will 100% most certainly get swarmed in the first or second round. No question. Not saying he will get truly hurt - but Diego has fast hands and good footwork. He'd be scary with true power.

Outstruck? GSP. He's never fought good strikers. Uno gave him plenty on the feet, as did Jens. Gomi wasn't "Gomi" before they fought. Machida outstruck him often as well although Penn held up.

And yes, I'm serious. I'm not saying that Diego is going to win. But this fight isn't going to look ANYTHING like an underpowered, terrible wrestling Kenny Florian fight or an undersized, short reached Sean Sherk fight.

Diego fights like no other MMA fighter in the world. Fast, hands, cardio, chin, jiu jitsu, top control, scrambles, etc. He's got it all. He doesn't have the huge power in his hands - if he had that - he would be complete.

23. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

Kos slowed their fight waaay down with precise jabs and 1-2's, methinks the fight is gonna go like that

24. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

With everything that happened before the Kos fight, I dont think you can take much from it

25. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

almost died from Staph infection the next week + just changed training camps + Kos is one of the best wrestlers in MMA + Kos was swept .2 seconds after it went to the floor = not really a good example.

I'm not saying Diego is going to win - I'm saying that he is by FAR the best test for Penn at 155.. Anyone thinking Penn is going to run through him is nuts or knows something that I don't...

Diego has lost twice. To BIG, STRONG, wrestlers.. Both by decision.. And he was sick for one of them..