MIL since the assclowns in OT aren't any help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by clever_username, Oct 25, 2007.

1. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

looking for some good books.

sci fi is good. also military fiction (like clancy, i've read all those). anything similar to dean koontz and stephen king.

i'm just getting real bored. i'm living at home right now til i can get another job. mom watches damn law and order all day, or sleeps. i need something to occupy my time.

oh snape, almost forgot. there's this book i heard about. something like muslims gradually start moving to europe, then launch massive attacks there. i think it was called Invasion, though i can't be sure.

2. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Lifestyle >The Great Indoors has a "what are you reading" thread. Did you look there?

3. Morton

Morton New Member

have you read Starship Troopers yet?

4. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

i tried to get into it when i was younger. they don't have it here at the library, i already looked.

5. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

enders game

6. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

The entire Brotherhood of War series (by WEB Griffin), it's where my username comes from.

7. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Not fiction - I read to learn:

(side bar to eyob: Of course I do)

8. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Hannibal Lecter series is good. Uh Michael Crichton's latest stuff is pretty decent, he's been taking Real world topics, like global warming and making some interesting Fiction novels revolving around them.
    Richard Preston and Lincoln child (guys who wrote the Relic) have a really good collection of books if you like that sort of thing.
    If you like older stuff the Divine Comedy is good, Beowulf, The illiad/odyssey.
    If you wanna be absolutely bored out of your mind even more, but like historical stuff, you can read Mien Kampf.
    If you like Military books you can try Band of Brothers, Black hawk down, or A bridge too far.

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I second the Black Hawk Down recommendation. The movie did not do it justice. Several times while reading this book I had to put it down just to catch my breath and clear my head. Intense is the first word that comes to mind to describe the ride you will take while reading this book.

"Battlefield Earth", by L. Ron Hubbard, was an excellent book. The movie didn't have a tenth of what was in the book.

"Enders Game" and "Enders Shadow", by Orson Scott Card, are two of my all-time favorite Sci-Fi books.

The Posleen War series, by John Ringo. Military Sci-Fi that will rock your socks off. The first book in the series is "A Hymn Before Battle". The series centers around a Combat Engineer.

Nelson DeMille is one of my favorite (non-Sci fi) fiction writers. I have read "Charm School" and "Up Country", and I'm currently reading "The Lion's Game". His main characters always have a very good sense of humor. The main guy is always a little rough around the edges, but isn't usually one to pass up a chance to get some pussy. Up Country was the first book I have ever read that seemed to be able to sum up all of the tension and distrust between the Soviet Union and NATO countries and dish it out in an excellent read.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  10. familyguy1

familyguy1 New Member

Id go with what TurboManiacal said, ive read most of those books and they are hella good, although right now im reading

Stalingrad-by Antony Beevor(historical Fiction, he goes inside and gets all his sources from letters,reports and shit, its an amazing book.

Fall Of Berlin 1945-Antony Beevor

Spanish Civil War- Antony Beevor

Read Fiasco- by that Thomas Ricks dude, it was cool.

and some others i can think of right now

Scifi......... havent read sifi since Enders Game.