SRS Since I quit this sport, parents not treating me the same as they use to

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gman427, Feb 13, 2009.

1. gman427

gman427 New Member

I was doing this sport, and lets just say I could have gone far, I was training with some people who went to the Olympics, that all is all you to know.

I quit, because I never enjoyed it, only did it because I felt if I quit I let down all of my family, which I did in the end. Now, they just don't treat me the same now, they think I am weaker, and just keep on yelling at me. I am a Junior in highschool so still have to fed up with them for a couple more years before college.
    They aren't really any other highschool sports that I want to do, or any other clubs that I would like to do, so basically I am staying home doing nothing now days.

I feel useless.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

You shouldn't feel useless, but you should also recognize that maybe they're pushing you toward an opportunity that only a select few enjoy.

If you really didn't enjoy it you should quit. But if you're just not enjoying it lately then consider sticking with it. There's a chance that people with decades more experience than you recognize the potential and don't want you to get 10 years down the road and think "fuck, I wish I had............"

3. gman427

gman427 New Member

It actually happened, a couple of years ago, the sport I enjoyed just went down hill.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

what sport?

5. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I kind of agree. I'm sure EVERY Olympic champion has said they've hated their sport at one point or another but think about that chance to compete in an event only the elite get to compete in? I would take it no matter the sport if I clearly had the talent and environment to possibly make it.

However, if you really, truly hate the sport, then quit. But give it a chance.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you were doing it for them, then what you need to do is figure out why you like it. Based on your thinly-veiled bragging about how you could've ended up at the Olypmics if you practiced more, it seems pretty clear you do like it, but you stopped to prove you can.

So now you know you don't have to do it, and you can choose to stop. If it were anything else, you could take your time considering whether to start again, but with sports (especially gymnastics, if that's what it is) you have to get back in the game fast or you'll lose your edge pretty much permanently. I say you get back to it, but make it clear to your parents you can and will stop whenever you feel like it, and to mind their own business in the meantime.

7. mws0019

mws0019 New Member

Swimming or gymnastics are the two most likely if your training with olympians in high school.

I had full ride scholarships to many D-1 universities with basketball coming out of high school and I decided to quit because I was tired of not having any time to myself. My parents thought I was an idiot and was throwing away a great opportunity. They went from offering me a brand new car of my choice (within reason) to making me pay my way through college. I still have resentment towards them for that because another reason I quit was the pressure I received from them on a constant basis.

Eventually though things have smoothed over and I think we both realize we made mistakes.

I'm now about finish up my Doctorate

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You need to make those voluntary choices by yourself in your life that will lead you to live the life in the way how you want to live it, having a shadow of your own so to speak instead of living in the shadow of your parents. Your parents should love you unconditionally for who you are, and not for what you perform. However in your case its the opposite, giving you all the right to quit.

This however comes with a few downfalls. The sport gave you a direction, the sport gave you a good condition, and the sport gave you a stable family life as long as you runned to prestige. Now that that has fallen away to your family considers you as nothing more than an empty sack.

Here comes the mistake you made, you quitted the sport, but you quitted before you had an alternative to fill up the void, ending it so quick means you are now just sitting home in despair, and knowing only that sport is probably the only way you know how to live.

My advice therefore is either to continue the sport by your own choice this time to give your life meaning again, or find a suitable alternative which will enable you to go into another fruitfull direction instead of putting your life on a halt like it is now, it is therefore essensial to get your life up and going as quick as possible in order not to fall behind, which goes treacherously quickly.

So take up your life again.

9. Shayes

Shayes OT Supporter

find something else in life. there are a lot of options. i fear i will never find what i want to do in life