MMA Since Acai has come up a lot lately

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by cswfighter, Sep 4, 2009.

1. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Here is the low down on it.

So, I actually looked into this alot and there are constantly conflicting statements on Acai and its antioxidant levels compared to other fruits and supplements. I will try to cover most of the obvious questions about it from all the research I have done.

What is Acai?
    Acai is a berry from Brazil and as some people suggested in the forum it is very popular there and it is a pretty big cash crop for Brazil. Its popularly used as a dietary supplement but is also used as an everyday day snack or used in other meal recipes. It is apart of Brazils culture and is about as common as the apple here in the U.S.

Why is it so popular?

There are a few reasons and one is that it is the "IN" thing at the moment, because it is an exotic fruit that people only hear good things about. Aside from that the nutritional benefits lure people to try it out such as: Antioxidants, energy, vitamins, and fiber.

If you want to get into more detail there are some other much smaller health benefits it has but nothing out of the ordinary.

So is this stuff legit or all hype?
    I have been asking myself this question for the longest time since I heard about this awesome fruit from Brazil. The answer is, it's a little of both. The huge debate about how much antioxidants it has compared to other fruits is an on going thing. As I said at the beginning there are many conflicted statements in articles I have gone over about how great it is for you. There is also arguments on how it has more antioxidants than any other fruit. The truth is you have to see through the BS and Acai is great for you but if you rated it on a scale of 1-10 in its form raw alone, I would probably rate it a 6 or 7. Meaning its still pretty good but not the best so don't start throwing out your blueberries or especially your cranberries as cranberries are one of the best sources of antioxidants you can get.

What does it all boil down to?
    Basically Acai does not have guarana (sorry Hillary) as guarana is whole nother fruit as a whole. Technically there is no proof it gives you more energy but having fruit is better than french fries so I can see where some people may feel more energetic as this is a healthy substitute for a snack. Acai does have a good amount of antioxidants, fiber, and some vitamins. The best state to have it is raw as every other form lowers the benefits of it as it gets processed more and more. Acai is expensive so getting it in its most purest form or close to it can be financially a problem (unless you live in Brazil), which is also why its in a lot of supplements or products as companies dont have to put much Acai in it.

All and all I love the stuff but as a consumer please see through the hype. If you dont like blueberries or cranberries this is a good alternative. Besides everything from Brazil is pretty damn cool so enjoy.

Hopefully this was helpful and go ahead and google all this if you want to make sure I didn't copy and paste all this shit. Just trying to contribute.

2. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

Asahee is pretty fucking expensive. I'll just stick to my $1.50 bag of blueberries.

3. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

4. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member