simultaneous wan and lan

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tozmo, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Tozmo

Tozmo New Member

I have a nic and a wireless nic. I have my own line, and my friends use their own wan. They say it's ok if I connect to their network. However, is there a way (win 2k) or program that will let me differentiate which program uses which connection, or even select which port on my pc uses which connection?

2. 01000101

01000101 New Member

bump

i have a similar question. my friend has a wireless network at his house, so we use that to access the router/modem, but we want to be able to transfer files with the crossover 100Mb connection rather than the wireless 11Mb.

how do we chose which task uses which nic?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

To answer the first question, you would have to setup host files (essentially an IP lookup table) to force traffic from one card to another. This works strictly on destination IP = use this NIC. I don't know of a utility off hand that will do it by port.

The second question maybe a simple change in IP addresses. Your wireless access probably has a 192.168 address. Your crossover NIC probably has a similar IP address. If you made your cross over NIC a 10.0.0.? as well as the other computer you are crossing over, you can then refer to the other computer as the IP address and windows will know you want to use the crossover NIC.

It's all about routing - the simplest way to avoid host tables is to ensure that your two connections don't share the same subnet and then refer to the computer as the IP address to avoid resolution errors which can occur if you refer to the computer as its NETBIOS name.