Simple XML Editor (that hides the markup)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

We use XML files for our string externalization, as we produce our apps in English/Spanish/Portugese. Right now we have to email new phrases out for xlation, get the results from the translator, and manually fill in the XML. I want the translators to be able to edit the XML directly.

I want a simple XML editor that hide the markup, and allows non-technical people to edit XML. Eclipse has plugins that can do this, but Eclipse is a big fat, confusing whore so we can't use that. Does anyone know of a lightweight program that can be used? Something that will represent the XML as a simple hierarchy or something, so a non-technical translator can edit it?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seems like it'd be easy to throw together in vb.net.... why not write one?

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Because each lines of code is a liability, so I'd rather use something that already exists. The other option is to generate the XML from a simple web app, but I think there must be a simple XML editor out there already.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thats for VS? We could use Eclipse's XML stuff. And no, none of us are on Windows :(

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

No, it's a stand alone app. My interns use it for configurations, but since it runs on windows only, probably doesn't help you

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Hmmm that is interesting. Thanks for the link.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Why not send out template XML files, and ask them to put the Spanish/whatever beside the English (maybe in comments, which can be stripped, I can get a script if you need)? I'm sure that won't require too much explanation, and you can copy/paste to bastardise the XML together (if it's all going into one file).

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Because I doubt their ability to comprehend our XML format as it becomes more complex, and I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with translation once this system is in place.

11. deusexaethera

My company contracts with Multilingual, Inc. to get our user manuals translated, and they have their own XML tools that mesh eerily-well with what we use.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Interesting. Unfortunately they won't outsource anything.

13. deusexaethera

What, are you writing manuals for the space shuttle or something? Does your company have any fluent Spanish/Portugese speakers? Do they have lists of acceptable translations for technical terms, which almost never translate properly word-for-word?

I don't have any vested interest in the company I mentioned, but there are definite advantages to getting work done by people who do that kind of work for a living.

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ok well what about setting up a fairly simple web-app, where they can enter the translations beside the English?

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

We have a translator, and someone local to Mexico that verifies her work, plus most people in the company speak Portugese. Its not just manuals, its the entire system + manuals that have to be translated. A manual wouldn't need XML.

We've outsourced translating before, but its just not an option now. If it were, I'd look at the guys you recommended. Its not my decision. The goal is to have the translators 'own' the XML mapping files, and they edit/commit to subversion themselves. I add phrases in English, make a ticket on Trac, commit to svn referencing that ticket, and as far as I am concerned that thing is translated. The release guy checks the tickets before we release, and we're done.

Right now we have mirrored templates, and stuff is filled in manually. It sucks. I email out translations and then I have to manually fill them in, in addition to the other shit I have to do. Its no way to work.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

And then auto-generate the XML. Yes, thats an option. I think it might just be better to direct edit/commit the XML, though.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member