Simple VB Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EPD Hater, Jan 19, 2003.

1. EPD Hater

EPD Hater New Member

I dont know much VB, but I'd like to know if the following code is an effiecient way of taking a string within specified screen coordinates (WRQ's Reflection IBM 3270 emulator) and assigning it a variable.

.SetSelectionStartPos 12, 5
    .ExtendSelectionRect 12, 17
    .CopySelection
    AMT = .GetClipboardText
    AMT = Trim(AMT)

In summary, I want to assign whatever is between 12,5 & 12,17 to AMT (and trim it).

2. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

I have no idea what object you're using in the (not included) with statement, but is there not a method that just returns the string? It seems rather roundabout to go through the clipboard.

3. EPD Hater

EPD Hater New Member

That's why I thought it was inefficient, to go the clipboard route.

What's an object? I know that's probably a fundamental topic when it comes to VB, but above this is the Sub statement, then the WITH statement, then this set of code that I put in my first post becuase I want my script to copy some necessary fields from the terminal screen and assign them variables so that I may use them later.

4. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Ah... I don't want to have to teach you the whole concept of object oriented programming, so I'm just going to tell you to go read a book or take a class on it (easy cop-out for me).

Here's an idea. You know how when you press "." there's a dropdown listbox with all the possibilites there? Look for one that says SelectionText, SelectedText, or something similar.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will