Simple networking question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marcos, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Well, its not really networking but it involves networking components.

I have a laptop, and im think of upgrading to broadband (ADSL). Most ADSL modems here are USB but i dont want a USB modem.

What other options do i have?

I thought of an ADSL modem/Router, as i have built-in 10/100 ethernet on laptop.

I also have PCMCIA if thats any help.

Thanks.

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

probably what i'd do

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

if i had a laptop i'd beg for wireless (so i can surf the web from the crapper, but thats another story).

so i'd get my adsl modem/router + a wireless router and get a wireless pcmcia nic.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Your two best options are:
    1. Get an etherenet-able modem and plug it directly into your laptops ethernet port.

2. Get an ethernet-able modem, wireless router (802.11b is fine, but 802.11g is not much more expensive and much faster) and pcmcia card. Plug modem into router's WAN port. Use a Cat5 cable and directly hook up your laptop to the router to update the firmware with the latest available on the manufacturers website and set your connection, WEP key, etc. Install PCMCIA card, upgrade to latest drivers available on the manufacturers website, and set all your network settings to match your router.

Oops, i didn't mean to make that all step-by-step, i'm tired.

5. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Hmm, i would like wireless, but in the end battery life isnt amazing and chances are i'll be tied down by a power cable anyway, so it would only half cure it.

On the other hand, it would be one less cable to mess, and i could go completly wireless every now and again..

Arent there any ADSL modem/wireless routers all in one? I think netgear does one.

Whats the pricing like? in total