Simple Green

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by krazie662, Apr 12, 2003.

1. krazie662

krazie662 WTF? OT Supporter

I was wondering if Simple Green will take off the wax on my car. I ask because sometimes I use it to take off bird shit and what not. It says non-abrasive, but I feel like it's still stripping my wax. What do you think?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yes, most definately. Simple Green will strip wax. I was always instructed to keep it off your paint, it's a degreaser, so you can imagine its chemical properties.

Personally, I recommend Blue Magic Bug & Tar Remover. It should be available at your local Advance Auto Parts (Parts America or Kragen in some areas), it has always worked good for me. Always remember that anything you use to remove bugs and tar will probably strip wax. Be sure you re-wax the area you just treated. :big grin:

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can also use a quick detailer to get bird shit off the car. You should carry a small bottle in your car. Spray it on, let it sit for 10-15 seconds, then wipe off. Won't remove wax either.

4. bmf

bmf Guest

I recommend using a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water to remove bird crap. Bird shit is highly acidic and alcohol will allow the acids to leech out.

I don't like QD's for removing bird shit because almost all of them have silicone emulsion as part of their ingredients. Silicone will mix with the acidic shit and literally etch itself into the paint. If the paint is hot this etching process will be accelerated.

Bug & tar removers are nothing more than mineral spirits, naptha, solvents, etc. There is no benefit to using them. Might as well use beer or Perrier or whatever liquid is handy.

Alcohol is a drying agent so douse the shit very well, let it sit for a couple minutes, and gently wipe off with a clean towel.

The longer bird shit sits on paint the more damage it will do. Time is of the essence.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

bmf-Quikshine has no silicones and using it on bird shit makes it wipe off easily.

6. bmf

bmf Guest

But will it remove the acids that may have been absorbed into the paint? Alcohol will (or should depending on how long the shit's been sitting there).

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I know this isn't a big deal, but will alcohol strip wax? I bet it will, I'm not sure though. If I get some bird shit on my car, I don't like having to re-wax the area with the product I use. If I don't have to re-wax, it will be worth it.