Simple fix for one of you Network people I bet...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AlcoLOLic, May 17, 2007.

1. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

This should be very simple for some of you.

I have two Buffalo Terastations, one operates as a data repository and one as a backup for mission critical data on the repository. All data for the network is routed through a DLink DGL-4300, which is a gigabit router with wireless G.

The PC is a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a Gb Type II network card and wireless G. When I am working at my desk I will use the 5150 as a desktop, jacked into the network. When I need to carry the laptop somewhere else in the house, I disconnect the card and re-activate the wireless (I have to disable the wireless while I'm jacked in as the Kaspersky antivirus thinks that I have installed one instance of it on two computers due to the dual network connection, and disables itself if I don't).

The issue that I'm having is that while on the wireless, XP will not reconnect the network shares. They show as "disconnected" in My Computer.

Any ideas on how to get the wireless to play nice with the network shares?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you start up the computer completely wirelessly, does it work?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are using UNC paths with the name as listed in WINS.

It's routed with the wired IP.

I bet if you leave wired disabled, boot to wireless and it should work (assuming you're using the same tcp/ip settings.

4. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Thank you for the replies.

This has been interesting. Over the course of troubleshooting the problem last night I noticed that the built-in 10/100 in the laptop was not working properly, so once I got that ironed out a new icon appeared in the network connections group: "internet connection". When I'm using the gigabit NIC, it's not there.

I now have access, both wired and wireless, to the internet and my network shares. I can physically disconnect the 10/100 and go wirelessly like I did before and have complete seamless access, with both enabled in Network Connections. Also, using the onboard 10/100 NIC I no longer have problems with Kaspersky thinking I've installed it on two different machines. The Netgear GA511 is completely out of the machine even though the software is still an active process in task manager, with no problems.

It's worth noting that the gigabit NIC is a Netgear, and uses its own software.

I very much would like to understand the issue...is it possible that since the Netgear product uses bolt-on software, that said software is causing this?

Unless I can resolve this issue I won't be using the gigabit NIC in this laptop any longer...the seamless wired/wireless functionality is worth more to me at this point than blazing fast access.